Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Home wireless network issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

SidCharming

Technical User
Jun 18, 2003
US
I don't have access to any special tools to watch my performance out of my Linksys G router (model 1 below their new marketing faster with proprietary win plug in). I have it located in my basement of my split house with walk out basement). I can be in the room next to the router which puts me about 20' away and I get interferrance which disconnects me from the network.

How can I identify the interferrance? I disconnected my 2.4 GHz cordless phone already with no change.

Would it help if I put an external antenna on the router?

Would it be an issue if I put one external antenna on the router instead of two?

Thanks

Sid from Minnesota

How do you know you're getting "interference"? What form does this take and how does it show up?

Maybe a close neighbour has a 2.4GHz phone or a WiFi system. Do any other WiFi networks show up on your client? Try changing your WiFi channel number and see if that helps. Do you have a microwave oven close by?

ROGER - G0AOZ.

First off do you get a good signal when stood next to the router? Hopefully its a laptop and slowly walk away from the WAP and see when your connection drops out.

What about elsewhere in the house can you get a signal? Was the basement an old nuclear bomb shelter? Like 6' of concrete?

Iain

I do receive good signal next to the router. Basement is of a <10yr home... not too thick of walls.

I do pick up another WiFi network, but it is so faint that if I connect to it within a few minutes signal goes from good to non existance.

I did try a few different channels. Is there a better channel to use?

The computer is a laptop. I could be sitting in the next room or upstairs over same area I use downstairs. Makes no sense

Sid from Minnesota

So would you not recommend a unidirectional antenna?

Would there be any reason not to use one unidirectional antenna and one of the factory?

Thanks for the parabolic reflector info.

Sid from Minnesota

You could use a sector panel antenna pointing upwards in the house, although placing one antenna parallel to the floor and using a parabolic reflector pointing upwards would do the same thing, essentially.

I have a 75-year old three story brick home with plaster walls on wooden lathe. My WRT54G V.1 router is in the basement.

What I did:

. Installed NetStumbler (freeware) on a laptop, and took measurements around the house:
. Installed the Wi-fi box firmware, and increased output power, and re-tested with netstumbler:
. Upgraded to the 5.5 dbi antennas from Radio Shack, and retested.

. Built parabolic reflectors, and retested with netstumbler;

While I have since moved the firmware to paid Sveasoft, I can hit anyplace in the house, including the third floor, with excellent signal strength. Sveasoft: see my link above for Wi-fi to obtain the freeware Sveasoft, or:
My best configuration was with one antenna horizontal, and one vertical, using parabolic reflectors and the output increase available through third-party firmware.

Thanks, I will give that a try... I am now excited to get home a PLAY...

Sid from Minnesota

The usual recommendation is to put the router or access point as high up as possible. If none of the above suggestions work just try moving it around the house.

Nelviticus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back