Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Home Remote Connection Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonnier

IS-IT--Management
Mar 27, 2001
US
I am trying to connect to my home computer from my office computer using remote desktop connection. I can connect from my home to my office without any problems at all. I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless router and I have opened port 3389. How can I troubleshoot to connect to my home. Both computers are running Windows XP Pro.

Couple of suggestions, the home pc has it been setup to be remote controlled by right clicking on my computer,properties,remote etc?

Also from the router side of things, I have an option on mine to list what machines can connect specifying an IP address to allow through etc or machine name. Have you got a similar option via the router to do this? Also check that your router doesn't time out after no activity from home, you can usually specify if the router does this and how many hours before this happens etc. Also at home do you have a firewall in place, or a firewall on the router as this could be the problem. From the work side of things check that the port is also enabled so you can send a request out. Can you ping your home machine from work?

Why not also try winvnc, remote controlling with winvnc viewer and setup your home machine as the server. Also have a look at where you add a machine to be installed running a program that sits in the tray on the right. Then all you do is go to the web site, log on then log into the machine with a username and password etc.. Both programs are free. You could also if you wish setup netmeeting even though its old it still works if setup correctly! Good Luck

I loaded VNC on my home computer and now I am not sure what to do. Do I start the VNC as a server(which I did) and then do I need something with VNC on my work computer? Maybe there is a tutorial on getting a VNC connection. Thanks for your help.

You run the machine you want to control as the server. During the install you choose to select the server. Take the tick out of the view option. You then copy the vnc download file onto the machine you want to use to remote control only this time on the install you select install the viewer NOT the server. (Take the tick out of the server option)

Have a look at the VNC home page its the documentation, FAQ, and what it is section should help you out a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back