Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

$HOME/.profile not run at login 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 12, 2002
US
I've got an AIX 4.2.1 system that when I log in it doesn't run $HOME/.profile. Is there a setting somewhere that disables the execution of $HOME/.profile?

Thank you,

Fred

It all depends on how you login if this gets run. For example if you login at a graphics terminal you will run not run the .profile. What you run depends on your window manager (CDE will run the dt stuff).

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I'm just using telnet to get in. No CDE.

Thanks

What shell are you using for this user?
echo $SHELL
echo $LOGNAME
echo $HOME
ls -al $HOME/.profile

Check the last rule in your $HOME/.dtprofile
if this is:
#DTSOURCEPROFILE=true
then remove the "#" otherwise $HOME/.profile will not be sourced while you login.

jwtesch,

SHELL = /usr/bin/ksh
LOGNAME = michelfa
HOME = /home/michelfa
ls -al .profile is:
-rwxr----- 1 michelfa staff 287 Mar 3 16:21 .profile

One interesting thing is that I tried to run pwd and got this as a result: ksh: : Cannot access parent directories.
After su to root, here is the result of ls -l of the /home directory:
drw------- 22 bin bin 512 Mar 4 11:48 home

Thanks,
Fred

The permissions on /home are preventing you from getting to your home directory. Change the permissions on /home to at least 755. When you log in, you aren't getting to your home directory, so your .profile can't run.

Thanks bi, and everyone else.

I kind of figured that was it and set up a test user with a home directory other than /home. It worked fine.

Fred

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back