Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Home Page won't open FIRST TIME only! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

babcockc

Technical User
Feb 22, 2002
US
When I open IE, the home page will not open. However, if I stop and refresh, the home page URL will be populated in the address bar and the page opens fine.

I have noticed that when I launch IE, it is attempting to open the home page via IP address (on the bottom I will see "Opening 216.239.39.99..."). This is when it fails.

However, when it finally time out or I stop and refresh, it attempts to open via domain name (ie - and opens fine.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

The address that you posted is the correct IP address for google, so I think that you're seeing normal name resolution. Check the links in this thread:

IE 6.0 on XP Pro WON'T LOAD UNLESS I PRESS F5
thread608-809805

Thanks for the information on that thread but it doesn't seem to have any effect on my issue.

I have tried a couple things and this is what I have determined.

When IE attempts to open the Start Page when it is first launched, it is trying to open based on IP address without the http:// prefix. This is where it fails. When I attempt to browse to the IP address, I get a pop up saying "Can't find xxx.xxx.xx.xx" However, when I put in it finds the page just fine.

I had this same problem with the domain name...where would not work, but would be fine. I have since fixed that problem, but I am now getting the same problem with IP addresses and I think that is why the start page isn't opening.

From EE:

Lost http prefix in URLs

SUMMARY: Internet Explorer not adding http:// to your URLs? This may help.

After dealing with some viruses and spyware, you may have come across a situation in Internet Explorer 6 where the default prefix " is missing. For example, if you type in into Internet Explorer, it will never add the " in front, making the correct URL
If this has happened, copy the text between the --- signs below into a file called 'prefix.reg' (use Notepad or your favorite text editor). Note that the [HKEY] lines are split in two for viewing on this page. Double-click the file from Explorer, and it should solve your problem. Since this is a registry editing tip, all standard disclaimers apply.

---
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\
Windows\CurrentVersion\URL\DefaultPrefix]
@="
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\
Windows\CurrentVersion\URL\Prefixes]
"ftp"="ftp://"
"gopher"="gopher://"
"home"=""mosaic"=""www"="---

Bill, I just came across this issue today after removing a bunch of malware and viruses. I searched on Google and couldn't find a solution. Then I came here and found this post on the first hit of my search. Your registry fix solved my problem. Just want to let you know how much I appreciate the way you help people on this board. A star for you.

That is very kind of you, bygeek.
Thank you.

Best regards,
Bill Castner

I think your prefix.reg is the answer to my problems, but I get an error stating I must use binary. Notepad doesn't have this option. I must be missing something. What are your thoughts? Thanks for your help.

hi, i am having the same problem as babcockc. My home page is google but the pc will not load unless i click refresh.
It attempts to open the home page via IP address (on the bottom I will see "Opening 216.239.39.99..."). like i say it will load my homepage (google) but i have to refresh...just annoying for the pupils that's all.
thanks, try and have a good day everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back