Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Home Networking problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayBuys

Programmer
Jun 18, 2001
US
I have a cable modem at home and have a home network set up to share the connection. I'm using a Linksys
Router (BEFN-2PS4) and have had my Win2k Pro box and my Win2k Adv Server box setup and working fine
for a while now.

My new roommate wants to hook up his computer now also. His comp is running WinME (evil) and when I
plug it into the router, it just doesn't work.
I get lights on both ends and have tried different cables and know that the networking card was working
before and there are no conflicts or anything so I'm pretty sure it's not a hardware/cabling issue.
The network settings are set to "Obtain IP address automatically" and "Use DHCP for WINS resolution"
and DNS is disabled just like my cable company says in there instructions.

However, it will not connect to the network/internet. Instead of getting an IP address from the router
like it should, it just gets a Windows default one.
I've tried using ipconfig and releasing/renewing the IP... no luck
I've tried resetting the router and refreshing the DHCP client's table... no luck
I've tried uninstalling the NIC driver and all the clients/protocols and then reinstalling... no luck

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm not that familiar with WinME so maybe it's something simple I'm overlooking.
Thanks in advance.

Does your cable company limit the number of IP addresses handed out? Mine does. Two is their limit. Will your router do NAT if they do have a limit. Try unplugging your two machines and resetting everything (router, cable modem, and WinME and see if it connects then.

The cable company is only giving out one IP address. The router takes that IP and sort of distributes it out to the rest of the PC's on the network. They all get their IP's from the router so there's only a need for one real IP.
and yes... the router supports NAT

If you get link lights, the card is fine. Network to your machine, not the router.
You're connecting via a hub or a crossover cable? Anyway, you have a Nic on your machine with a static ip address. Have him imput that ip address as the gateway on his machine.

Dennis

Lets get a few items here..

1: Links lights mean that your cable connections are proably fine
2: The router runs NAT ( Network Address translation) to share the 1 IP from cable
3: You may need to "spoof" the MAC address of your system for the router. Linksys can do this sicne some cable companies tie down the IP to the MAC
4: Your roomies PC needs to have a default gateway IP on his box.. This is the IP of the routers ethernet port.
5: DNS.. many times I have found the cable company DNS servers to be ..shall we say.. Lacking. Do a search on Google for public DNS servers to use. Almost always work better and are faster.
6: Verify that DHCP is turned on at the router for the clients.
7: Verify that roomies PC is config'ed to get ALL IP info automaticly via DHCP

MikeS
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

or use a hub or switch. I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it.

Hello,

I had the same problem with my linksys router. I had a 3COM NIC, I switched it to a linksys NIC and problem solved. Its unusual because i also got link light, but the OS didnt recognise the connection. try that and if you need further assistance, let me know.

Windows ME is really unstable. I'd recommend upgrade to XP asap. However one of the good things in ME is the Internet connection wizard. 8 times out of 10 all you have to do is plug the network cable into your Nic and run the wizard.

If you've already done the wizard without success make sure of two things. The default gateway and DNS entries.

You're from New Jersey, What exit?
Norbert@exit109.com

I disagree.. ME is not any more or less stable then 98.. it really comes down to the hardware more then the software. Lousy drivers equals an unstable system. Or flaky hardware etc..etc.. I just blew away a Win2K box because the drivers for the onboard video were crap. Win2K on the laptop is rock solid.. same code.. different hardware and different outcome. Some code is better at handling bad hardware.. Linux comes to mind. XP is even more picky about hardware and drivers.. if they are certified, you are probably ok.. if not, you pays your money and you takes your chances :)

MikeS
Find me at
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

what is your security setting? If you have certain policies applied the Network (DHCP ADS and ICS) will totally ignore the less than secure (built on win 9X kernel) Win ME.
I am betting that you are running ADS and that you need to create a Workstation object for the 9x /ME box and allow it in, remember that a 2000 pro box gets its own SID and is allowed in to the Domain and forest. A 9X box relys on its login users acct for a sid or any permissions.
Go to "Users and Computers" MMC and New > Computer, then Pop in a Computer name (pre windows 2000) and check the "allow prewindows 2000 copmputers to use this account" box. Remember this is realoly a netbios name so it must be unique in your forest / domain.

Just another New Networker here,

After only 6 hours(which I was grateful for) of trying to network 2 machines with ME thing are stable and running, but here's the questions: On one machine all the files in my Desktop folders are not viewable from the Desktop. Makes no sense at all because they are their in My Comp & Explorer. They can be seen from the other machine, but not the one they are on. I have written it off as yet another unsolved WINMe mystery, but thought maybe someone else had the same problem after setting up thier network. Thanks. Later.

"My log has something to tell you."

Nearly six months on, I imagine you've solved the problem, but since I wound up here by surfing for an answer to a similar situation (linksys befsr41 where I knew all the pieces were working but the host was unreachable from a pc running windows-me), I'll share my solution for the benefit of future visitors:
Right click on My Network Places to open up Properties.
In the Configuration menu, you will get a list of network components. Click on the ethernet card.
Then click on Properties.
In the Bindings menu, clear all of the selections. (This is what was giving it the Windows default IP address.)
It will give you an alert saying, "You have not selected any drivers to bind with. Would you like to select one now?"
Click on "No".
Click OK for that window, then OK for the network window.
After that, it worked. As often seems to be the case with Windows, the problem (the computer using a default IP address when it should be getting one from the router) is a lot more obvious than the solution. (I'm a Mac person.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back