Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Home Networking for a customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

spock2054

IS-IT--Management
Feb 12, 2002
US
Hi,

I am running W2K server on my host box with a Realtek RTL8139 NIC connected to my DSL modem. I installed a Netgear FA311 to connect to a client PC. The Netgear is recognized in BIOS and Windows as a network card with a different IRQ than the former. I am connected to the client via a crossover cable and a Netgear 311 in the client box. I cannot get the 2 to talk; no leds lit on either one. I connected my DSL RJ45 cable to the 2nd NIC on the host box and the led illuminates. I connected the same cable to the NIC on the client machine with the same results. I checked the crossover cable 8 times to make sure the color code was correct. 1-3, 2-6, 3-1, 4-4, 5-5, 6-2, 7-7, 8-8

What did I miss? If anyone out there has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

RJ

I dont follow what you are doing and exactly how many systems you have, but I think it would be alot easier if they had a router and connected the DSL modem to that and the PC's to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back