Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Home network 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mia132

Programmer
Feb 17, 2005
IL
Hello.
I have tried to set up a home network, two computers and a crossover cable.
I wired the cable myself. The following way:

white – brown |white – blue
brown |green
white –blue |white –brown
blue |blue
white –green |white –green
green |brown
white –orange |white –orange
orange |orange

1,2<->3,6…. It DOES NOT work!
One PC switches between available connection and unplugged cable, while the other PC indicates that the plug is disconnected.
Does anyone know why????

I have been told to try the following wiring:
white – orange |white – blue
orange |blue
white – green |orange
blue |brown
white – blue |white – brown
green |white – orange
white – brown |green
brown |white - green

Does anyone know this kind of wiring????

The second config you posted is the standard but your wires should work you just need to make sure that wire number 1 on the first side goes to 3. 2 goes to 6. 3 to 1 and 6 to 2.
If you keep going up and down try just re-crimping your cables it sounds like you have a loose wire.

I'm a great fan of do-it-yourself. Setting up a computer network is a lot of fun, even if you're getting paid to do it. But not for making Ethernet cable.

Untwisting those little wires just enough, putting them into the plug, and crimping just enough is excrutiatingly difficult, particularly if you're just learning. A hand made cable might work, at a 10M network rate. But a 100M network rate requires precise cabling, and if you ever go to 1G, forget it.

When you add up the cost of cable, plus the plugs, plus the crimping tool, plus the time you spend trying to figure out why it doesn't work, it just isn't worth it.

Go to your nearest computer store, and buy a tested, pre-made cross-over cable. You'll be glad you did in the long run.

Cheers,

Chuck

Paranoia is not necessarily a bad thing - it's a normal response to experience.

Cabling is extremely easy once you get the hang of it.

I can make a cable in less than 10 seconds now, fully functional. It's just a matter of being comfortable doing it.

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

I got timed by my CCNA instructor, as that was part of our competition as to who went to state.

We had to do 2 ends, I did both in about 25 seconds which included picking up the crimping tools and such.

If I get ahold of a new webcam or such, I will make a video to show ya. I was awesome.

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

They should have this kind of stuff on ESPN. To heck with the loggers.

I found making Cat5 cables to fiddly but I used to make 10Base2 (CoAx) ends in about 10 seconds or so. Practice makes less imperfect. I got plenty of practice because I had users who used to end up ripping wall boes off and the ends off of cables by shifting their computers without telling me. When you break a 10Base2 Ethernet segment everyone goes down - not pleasant! Speed was necessary.

Hi, Dear Friends:

I am trying to find out how to communicate between two computers (win 2k and win98) through an ethernet hub.

Is it faster using a crossover category 5 cable or through the hub?

Could you please give some tips?

Thanks!

DOSXP

dosxp: you should really start you own thread and ask the question in the title. It's not the cable that matters but the speed of all the components.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back