Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Home network set up

Status
Not open for further replies.

audiopro

Programmer
Apr 1, 2004
GB
hHi all,
I am trying to set up a home network and was hoping one of you guys could point me towards a decent tutorial. I have 3 machines - 1 XP and 2 WIN98. The main problem seems to be setting up the hub. The instructions supplied may as well be written in a foreign language for what use they are. I have used the Wizard to set up the XP machine and create a set up disk for the other two machines. The wizard tells me that the network is set up correctly. If this was so, I would expect it to work lol.
Thanks
Keith

Thanks for the response.
The type of tutorial I was looking for was a step by step guide written for normal human beings who have no experience of networking.
I have been using 2 machines networked together for some time with no problems. Adding a 3rd machine means I now need to use a router. I have a Mentor ADSL Router MR4C UK and this is where the problems start. Any two of the three machines will talk to each other through a direct connection but as soon as I introduce the Router I am unable to connect to anything. I can get into the router's internal set-up but as I previously stated, the set-up instructions are beyond me.

"Hubs dont need instructions" - maybe so - but I do.

Sorry if I asked a confusing question but I am using a Router not a hub - oops.
I still can't get the thing to work, however.
Keith

I am using the above mentioned router and it does work although the instructions do leave alot to be desired! Up to now I have have 3 pc's running XP, Win2k & Win98 along with a HP Jetdirect print server all talking to each other. I set the router up to be the DHCP server with the pc's and print server set to auto IP allocation. To be able to access each pc remotely a common name for the workgroup is required. Also straight through cable is used and not cross patched.

As a side issue, does anyone know the settings for connecting into BT Yahoo's Broadband ISP as I am trying to set up a client's laptop for it. I mainly need to know the DNS addresses if available.

As for a tutorial try this web site for one in english!

I have setup a network using a adsl router and one of the computers is unable to access the other computer on the network. They both are quite happy accessing the internet but one appears to be slow, both are P4 2.4ghz systems. One system asks for a password even though there is is not one how can I get around this, any suggestions appreciated.
Thank Colonel1

I have setup a network using a adsl router and one of the computers is unable to access the other computer on the network. They both are quite happy accessing the internet but one appears to be slow, both are P4 2.4ghz systems. One system asks for a password even though there is is not one how can I get around this, any suggestions appreciated.
Thank Colonel1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back