Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Home network not working correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.

allan1556

Technical User
Jun 24, 2003
GB
I have 2 home computers on a home network. Recently I had to reinstall Windows from scratch on the host computer. After setting up the home network using the wizard I found that the host computer would recognise the guest computer but not the other way round. When trying to view other workgroup computers from the guest I get an error message, you might not have permission to use this network resource, I get the same message when trying to access the guest from the host. The files, folders & printer are configured for sharing. The only thing that can be accessed from both computers is the internet, this proves that the connection has been made.

if you type in CMD in the RUN command, and type in IPCONFIG
what IP address each computer are getting from the router (assuming you have a DSL/Cable Router)

if they have the same subnet
ie. 192.254.xxx.xxx

then check to see if they are in the same workgroup ?

XM

My connection is DSL. There is no router they are connected by a twisted cable.
Below are the IP Addresses.

Host computer
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . :

Guest computer
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.110
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

so you are saying both computer can be on the Internet at the same time ? my understanding of the DSL modem is it can provide internet connection to one computer at a time ?
how do you do it ?

now separate from that, lets look at your setting for the two PC

you said that "host computer would recognise the guest computer but not the other way around"
did you mean

the host can see the guest but
the guest does not see the host ?

run the ping (ip address ) command...
Can you ping 192.168.0.1 from the guest computer ?
and ping 192.168.0.110 from the host ?
if you dont get reply from both or either, that indicate you never was able to connect between to two PC

make sure you get the right cable
to connect the 2 pc, you either need a cross over cable or one of those switch with auto-sensing port

also set the default gateway to itself for both PCs (unless that is the way you use to get on the internet) see what happen

XM

Allan1556
You may not have permission indicates there is a connection (of sorts) between the two PC's.

Are the PC's both in the same workgroup? By default the workgroup name is workgroup, if so...
Have you configured sharing?
My first test would be to configure a shared folder (if they're in the same workgroup)
As a rule, I never use the Networking Wizard...

XM
To enable two PC's to use one modem/dsl modem you can do two things.
Set the DSL as a DHCP server and the PC's to "Obtain IP from DHCP". The PC's will use the dsl as their source for networking addresses (IP) and will communicate directly with the DSL for gateway access to the net.
If you don't have a router, set the host PC (PC with the modem attached) to enabled for ICS (Internet Connection Sharing). The option to do this should be on the network connection for the modem. You should not need to do anything else (if I remember correctly)

The Internet connection for the guest is provided through the host via the cross over cable, the connection is set to shared, this works ok. The workgroup names are the same. The IP address for the guest is created automatically at every logon.
Ping results Host to Guest
Pockets: Sent =4, Received = 0 Lost = 4
Ping results Guest to Host
Pockets: Sent =4, Received = 4 Lost = 0

By default the guest account is disabled in XP. You can enable it, or better yet create a user on each machine for the other machine and set a password of at least one character. Then add the user to the shares permissions.

When you try to access the other machine you should be prompted for the user logon.

Try checking for third party firewall. disable it while on a network. Try that if you have a firewall enabled.

KMart2004.

Thank to all for their suggestions but none seemed to work so I decided to reinstall Windows on the guest PC, after setting up the home network everything worked ok. Thanks again to all for their help.
Allan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back