Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Home network has stopped working for no apparent reason...help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chr1sUK

Technical User
Jan 14, 2004
GB
Ok, bit of a strange one...

I have been going on the internet with my laptop by using my main pc as a gateway for nearly a year without any troubles.

I recently upgraded to 1mbit internet with the same ISP (bt).

Now, for some reason, I cant get on the net...but it shows that the lan is connected, but I can't view workgroup computers.

I have tried two crossover cables, to no avail.

I have also removed and reinstalled the bridge/ICS.

I'm stumped, never known this to happen before.

I find it a bit strange that I should mention to BT that I used two machines on the same connection...they didnt seem best pleased....surely that couldnt be why its not working...BT couldn't have done something to stop it could they?

TIA

Hmm...I think maybe its a firewall issue, as I can browse the network again which I couldn't do before, but I still can't get on the net...I installed zone alarm again the other day, and my network bridge was not in the trusted zone...

I'll keep trying!

Hey Chr1sUK, how did you fix it? I have the same problem...

Cheers;
Hanns from California

The problem was that the Bridge was not set to the trusted Zone, and both Zones (Intenet & Trusted) were set to High security.

I Added the bridge to the trusted zone, and set the security on that to minimim, since theres not any need for it on a network where I control the only two machines on it.

I then went online again, but it was a bit slow....so I set my internet zone security level to medium.

I had forgotten to do this when I installed a new version of Zone Alarm.

Problem solved!

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back