Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Home mappings not working at logon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 23, 2007
US
When a user logs into the network, they do not get their correct home drive mapping defined in their profile. Their profile says \\ServerName\User\%username% but when they logon it ends up at \\Servername\User. This doesn't happen to all users, just some. I am digging to find similarities and i'll post back if i find some.

After searching I cannot find any similarities. The only application that has access to this location is Quota Manager. I also have specified in the logon script "net use p: /home" but i am thinking maybe I should change that to "Net use P: \\servername\User\%username%". What do you all think? I've looked at permissions and they are all right.

I don't want to have to share each folder individually since it's a huge mess of shares to play with. It also seemed to cause problems on boot up such as slow booting.

All help is appreiciated.

We set all user home folders in AD, not in the logon scripts. There it is defined as a Connect: with the full path, IE, \\server\UserHome\jimbo (the share is \\server\UserHome). We do assign other drives in the logon script though. When it doesn't work it has always caused by a problem in the script (not typed correctly), permissions, or the share wasn't available.

Is it possible the users that are having problems have the home defined in their account?

DThornton, I'll take a look when I get to work tomorrow. It's a feild that I don't remember using and I'll have to make sense of. I'll let you know what i find out when I do find something. :)

your logon script is good but as the thread above said if you not put it into the users profile in AD it would have not created their home folder so all the script is doing is pointing it to the shared folder user

"Practice makes Perfect"
CPO rt'd RN

DThorton, I must have been confused when i read your post last night. In their profile within the AD structure, their home directory is setup correctly. I put the mapping in the logon script just as an extra step to see if it would help w/ the issues. The one work around I could always do is share their specific directory and map them directly to it, but i want to avoid that if possible. I'm at a loss.

I've tried quite a bit and I can't figure out what's going on. I even setup the mappings to the server via IP rather then DNS name to make sure it wasn't a DNS based communication problem.

When you enter the information into their Profile section on their ADUC account and press Apply, does it change to the proper folder, i.e. \\servername\user\"username"?

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

DaveToo, That would be correct. As soon as I hit apply the mapping turns from \\Servername\Users\%username% to \\Servername\Users\LnameFM like it's supposed too. I am going to try the direct mapping and see if it works, which i assume it will. I've been having mixed results from the users. In some cases it doesn't map, in others it just maps to the \\servername\Users directory. They also don't check in with me every day or so like i asked to figure out the problem. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back