Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Home lab for new CCNP 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

beatdown

Technical User
Feb 27, 2005
US
Hi all,

I'm looking to put together a home lab for the new CCNP. I'm a bit confused about what the hardware requirements are, for me to be able to do all the hands on labs. Has anyone here setup a CCNP lab, or can you offer any advice?

I know I need the latest IOS images...no problem there, I have a Smartnet contract for my routers at work, and can download whatever I need from Cisco.

For routers, I was looking into the 1721 models, which can be had on ebay for pretty cheap. I know you can use the SDM with these, and you can install Wic-1T cards for connecting them with other routers using back-to-back serial cables. You can also install a DSL or Ethernet card. Is there anything on the CCNP that I can't do with the 1721?

Also, will the 2950 Switches with Enhanced image cut the mustard for the CCNP labs? Do you really need a layer 3 switch...these are very expensive. Can you really learn the material without this, or is it a must have? I figured I could maybe use a sim program like Network Visualizer to cover this stuff.

I already have an old 2500 series (forget which model) that works as a frame relay switch, so I imagine I can still use this in my lab.

Finally, what about the VOIP stuff...what do I need to do these labs? I'm a total noob at VOIP, so I don't even know where to start with this.

Thanks for any advice you may have!

beatdown,

If you go to -
And then click the CCNP Prep Center link at the bottom - you will need to log in but you do not need a paid account - a guest account will work !

Additional Training
The CCNP Prep Center includes practice questions, e-learning modules, tips from CCNP professionals, expert advice, and other CCNP resources to help students preparing for CCNP certification exams.

Once in click on "Exam Study" and at the bottom of the page they have links to -

Suggested Study Lab Setup
Review suggestions on configuring your own study lab.

BSCI
BCMSN
ISCW
ONT

You can use this as a guide to what you will need to do what is expected.

Hope this helps!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

The 1721's are good, because they do intervlan routing. For CCNP, a lot of the layer 3 switch stuff is pruning, broadcast/multicast control, HSRP, and routing---for layer 3 switches, the only things are that you have switchport access vlan blablabla, for pruning you have switchport access allowed vlans blablabla, and for the actual routing, one command...ip routing. No real need for a layer 3 switch. The 2950 should work, as far as I remember. I took the CCNP over a year ago, and that was the older stuff (no VoIP, SDM, or wireless)...

Burt

Thanks for the response guys.

I took a look at the suggested labs in the CCNP Prep Center. I'd have to take out a second mortgage to buy the equipment they recommend, but they test lab diagrams they provide will be a big help. I'll just need to substitute with older routers, so long as they run the required IOS, etc...

I'm gonna start with the ISCW test, since this has the most relevance to my actual job, where I do lots of remote office setups, site-to-site VPN, and security/firewall stuff.

The 1721's with the right image are PERFECT for that!

Burt

One thing to add---dynamips and gns3 only offer routers with switch modules---they do NOT offer Catalyst switches.

Burt

I am in the same boat as you beatdown. It is overwhelming to pick your equipment with so many choices out there.

I am getting close to what I am going to do for my lab.

These are the resources I have been using to figure out what to buy:

This site, obviously lol, some very helpful knowledgeable people here.

Ciscokits.com, some good reading material and good deals on equipment.

Wendell Odom is currently doing a blog on a ccnp lab setup.

EBAY EBAY EBAY...lol

I agree with you the CCNP lab info on the prep center is a small mortage, but I do not think it is overkill. I used that as a base with the above guidance, reviewed the requirements on the Cisco cert pages, researched what could do what I need.

Do not hold me to this but this is what I am thinking:

4 Routers
I am looking at:
2600xm series with 12.4 Adv Ios
(can run 12.4 on some normal 2600 series but no sdm support)
3600 Series modular routers

Since both the above have modular slots you can make any a frame relay router.

12.4 support
SDM support

3 Switches
2950s (no need for 48 ports a 12 will do)

I am thinking this setup shoud be easyily under 1500. When you compare it to any course it is quite a savings.

I will most likely pick up a 3550 usually around 600 on ebay . I plan to go on after my CCNP anyways.

I will say this, do your own research. As I stated before, all these equipment choices are overwhelming. The effort I have put in really gave me insight and experience for finding the right tools for the right jobs. So the next time a client/manager says I need a router to do this or a switch to do that I at least have the experience looking this kind of information up.

Gb0mb

........99.9% User Error........
Ubuntu -- African for I can't install Gentoo

gb0mb,

Good post - I agree - "I will say this, do your own research"

That is the best way to learn the different products - of course Cisco is going to list "top-of-the-line" routers for the lab in the Prep Center - but the idea is to look at the setup and then find routers that can fit that setup and do what they want you to do!!!!!

As far as a router to do Frame Relay - I do not think you need a 2600xm - I am sure that if all it is doing is acting as your Frame Relay equipment you can use a 2610 or even a 2612 (Token Ring) with the right WICs.

I do not see where a 2520, 2521, 2522 or 2523 would not work!

Good luck to you!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

You are right you can get away with a less expensive frame relay router. The other thing would be an access server for ease of moving between devices.

Gb0mb

........99.9% User Error........
Ubuntu -- African for I can't install Gentoo

What would I need to setup VOIP in my home lab?

I imagine I'd need an IP Phone or two. What module would I need in my router to do VOIP?

Also, I understand the gist of setting up VOIP on a LAN, or between offices with WAN links...but what equipment, or service do you need, so that you can send and receive VOIP calls to & from the internet/people with regular land line phones?

As you can probably tell, I'm just about clueless when it comes to VOIP.

Thanks!

I am too, but you'd need something like Call Manager and they're not cheap! Cisco has their own servers that do that...

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back