Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Home Folder, Ping, Win Firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

dheida

IS-IT--Management
Sep 2, 2005
US
Just got our first Vista machine; loaded McAfee AV, a couple of other apps, and joined it to the domain with no problems. Now, I logged on as a regular user and the Home Folder (as setup in AD) is not mapping. Also, I cannot ping the Vista machine from my XP computer but can ping out. Windows Firewall you might say, well, I can't even get the Windows Firewall service to turn on!

What errors messages are you seeing, if any? Are there errors in the Event Viewer?

If you load to "Safe Mode with Networking", can you get a Ping response?

Have you tried the "Diagnose and Repair" option in Vista via a right-click on the Network Icon in the Notification Area?

After I joined the computer to the network I put it in a group that changes Windows Firewall settings to allow Remote Assistance. Well, the Vista machine must not have liked those settings because I deleted: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall
then restarted and Windows Firewall came right up. Also, after turning on the Network Discovery tool, I was able to ping. Now I'm just left with getting the Home Folder to map.

The HP computer I'm doing this on had some sort of USB Mass Storage device on mapped to H: and I just kept checking whether the mapping was done using net use so I never saw that H: was already mapped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back