Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

home directory 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccnet101

IS-IT--Management
Nov 29, 2001
HK
hi, i am running 2000 server and 2000 professional clients, i am trying to setup home directories for them, when do, i select the z: drive and the share name as \\servername\%username%, when i do, it returns the error with "network name cannot be found" please help

Yeah...instead use this syntax:

i select the z: drive and the share name as \\servername\HOMESHARE\%username%

Your missing the SHARE name... on server "servername" share out a directory (doesn't matter what the name is).

ie: C:\homeshare <- share this as HOMESHARE on the server.

2K will automatically create the user folder under homeshare with proper rights. see HELP for more information.

-hope this helps Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

Thanks for the advice but i still get the same issue...Please help

OK...so you have a server and a share..

Can you at least manually map a drive to \\servername\share ?

If you can map the drive, you should be able to get NT to automatically create the users home directory by....:

select the z: drive and the share name as \\servername\HOMESHARE\%username% (do this in usermanager for each profile that you want to have a home drive.)

Maybe delete you share and folder...and re-create from scratch.

-hpoe this helps.

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

my server is 2000 and clients are mixed 2000/XP/98.
I set the drive to h: to \\server\home\%username%

I get the mapping for 2000 and XP clients but not on 98.

Anybody knows what the deal is?

den

Are the 98 machines logging into your domain? Running logon scripts and stuff?

Make sure that the 98 machines are set to logon to your domain and that the check box is checked. Also verify that the 98 machines have your domain name listed in the workgroup tab. The default for this tab is &quot;workgroup&quot;...change this to your domain name.

If all of this is set and it is still not working, do something like this:

For the 98 machines, create a share for each user under the HOME share. name this folder the &quot;usersname&quot; and share it out as &quot;USERNAME$&quot; (hidden share.)

Now go into user manager for domains and click the 98's user profile. For home drive, do this:

\\server\bsmith%

In this senerio, you will have to set all the permissions manually so the only the user and the adminstrator have share and NTFS permission to the folder (It will not be done automatically for you) There is a lot more administrative overhead in the method. But it will get the job done.

-hope this helps.

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

I have had this same issue. With Win 9x desktop OSs you will need to share the user folder itself and manually set the home directory to face it. An example, I have a 'Users' folder setup for all of the home directories and for my user BSMITH I have to go into the active directory and set his user properties with the home directory of \\SERVERNAME\BSMITH. Though this will only properly execute after the BSMITH folder has been shared. Painful, but this is one of the little nudges MS gives us to get onto a totally WIN2000 platform.

i have a totally windows environment and i still get that error...is there something simple i can check..any ideas...thanks

ccnet101,

I can not help you if you do not provide any feedback from questions asked in previous posts.

1) Can you at least manually map a drive from the 98 client to \\servername\share ?

2) Can you manually map a drive from the 98 client to \\domaincontroller\netlogon?

3) Can you ping the server by IP address, by server name, by fully qualified name?

4) Can you logon to the domain properly and gain access to other network resources?

5) How are the client DNS settings configured on the client TCP/IP settings? Pointing to what DNS server?

Thanks to Krajci, we know that %username% will not work. So you will have to use \\server\share and then manually create the home directories per user under the share...make sure you apply the appropriate permissions (as described in my Dec 15th post.)

don't give up...we're getting close. Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

Hi Joseph, Thanks for your support, i don't have any windows 98 clients so i can't try that test, the other thing is that i can ping from the fully qualified domain name, the clients are pointed to the internal dns server, and that has a forwarder to the isp dns server, and i do have all access to full network resources, and just to clearify, i recieve this error when i try to create the share on the windows 2000 server...Thanks for your help...

Do me a favor:

1) Create a new share called JOETEST.

2) Share this as JOETEST with Administrators and EVERYONE FULL CONTROL.

3) Apply NTFS security with Administrator with FULL control and EVERYONE: CHANGE

3a) DON'T CREATE ANY SUBDIRECTORIES FOR USERS...LET 2K DO THIS FOR YOU.

4) Go into Domain Users and Computers and create a new user called JOE.

5)In the profile, select the z: drive and the share name as \\servername\JOETEST\%username% (If the variable does not work for some reason, create a new user and place the actuall user name in place of %username% variable....but try the variable first.)

6) login as JOE and see if you get the home drive.

What happens?

--------------------------------------

&quot;i recieve this error when i try to create the share on the windows 2000 server....&quot; I think you mean, that you get this when you edit the profile to point to \\servername\share\%username%. Please note, that there should only be one SHARE. That you will not have a SHARE for each individual user. As explained before, when using this method, 2K will add user directories automatically under SHARE. So you will have:

SHARE\joe
SHARE\bill
SHARE\RALPH
SHARE\FRED

Each directory will be give each USER NTFS permissions to the folder. This is why you need to SHARE out on a NTFS partition. Maybe this is where you are having the problem? It should be NTFS. (If you don't want to use NTFS partition, you will have to manually SHARE out each usename as described above for 98 machines.)

-anyway, I hope some of this helps.

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

Thank you very much for you help...you do know your stuff...I for one am just looking for the touch solution rather than looking at the basics first, all i had to do is create a directory and and share it..thats it..so thank you once again for your patience and your assistance..and all the rest of you as well..just one more question if you can..I would also create a public directory, if i am not mistaken so all users can access it...so should i just create a directory, share it and put in everyone groups..thanks once again to all of you...

CCNET101,

No problem. I knew that we would eventually get it. I figured that you were &quot;rushing&quot; it a bit. I can be so frustrating when things don't work. Yeah, I'm a big fan of Tek-tips.com It's a great resource. There are so many people with great skills that view this site.

Anyway, I'm glad that everything worked out. (By the way, I didn't know that 98 machines have problems with the %username% variable...so I learned somthing too from KRAJCI...hopefully the information is accurate.)

For the public share:

If you want all of your users to be able to VIEW and EDIT/DELETE all files within this share, I would create the folder on an NTFS Volume (because MS changes the terminology from PARTITION to VOLUME...go figure) as shown in the following chart:

F:\Public SHARE: DOMAIN ADMINS, FULL CONTROL; Authenticated Users, CHANGE.
NTFS: Domain Admins, FULL CONTROL; Authenticated Users, CHANGE.

That should do it... (Or you can use the everyone group..)

-take care...

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

Have you tried installing the 'client' patches onto the w9x machines? They're on the w2k server CD. C:\DOS:>
C:\DOS:>RUN
RUN DOS RUN!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back