Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Home directory problem...HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 6, 2003
US
I am getting ready to setup a new domain using Windows 2000 server. We have Windows 95 clients (still)
What I am having a problem with is when I creat a home folder under the users profile like \\woof\Home\%username% it creats the folder but when the user logs in there is no mapped drive..does not even try. I can browse the tree and get to the folder that was created but it will not map it. I cant seem to even map the directory using a bat file. (just the user directory, others are fine.) This has got to be just some stupid thing I am not seeing but I am lost. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Win 9X clients cannot map a directory structure that is more than 2 folders deep. You'll need to change your mapping from :

\\woof\Home\%username%

to

\\woof\%username%

ok does this mean all my users are going to have a home folder on the root of the controller?

you don't have to locate the actual folders on the root of the drive...they can be anywhere. you just can't give out the share name with more than 2 directories...

I can do it witha login script but I cannot get it to work with the profile tab. I have u: = \\woof\user and when I log in it does nothing. Ther user is shared because the login.bat file I made will do it.
Any idea?
Thanks.

You can use the net use command in the netlogon.bat file.

net use u: \\servername\sharename

I know about the net use but I do not want to edit the script evertime a I add a user and reate a home folder. Can this not be done from the profile page uner Hom Folders for windows 95?

Tom

yes, it should work from the users account in AD Users and Computers. You'd need to enter it as \\woof\%username%

No it does not work...that has been my whole problem. Would it have anything to do if I do not have AD or DNS configured correctly?

do your 95 clients recognize that they're members of an NT domain? is there anything else in that login.bat file that would indicate the 95 clients are picking up the script at all?

I stoped the script just tring to use the Home directory part in AD under there profile settings. They login to the server fine. And a box does flash about Windows NT login scripts. But it never get asigned.

Its been my experience in dealing with Win9x clients and home directories that they are unable to map to a sub-root directory.

I use the net use command to map them as far as the root
net use m: \\server\home
Then, they select their username out of the list of folders from there as their home drive.

There is a scripting tool called KixTart that will allow the user to be mapped beyond the root of the share.
My solution however, has been to migrate to Win2k. ;)

to make it work you have to share also every %username% directory under the home dir ...
if you use kixtart you can even test if your client is running windows 9x(95,98,ME) or NT(4,2k or XP)

NT user get their home dir automatically (from the home settings) for 9x users you have to map it from the logon script

so to get a windows 95 home dir : net use h: \\server\%username% or ven better net use h: \\server\%username%$ (hidden share) ...

I will try that tomorrow. I thought I already tried the \\server\%username% and it nver worked (would not auto put the username to the %username% place) It just showed \\server\ I will let you know.

Thanks
Tom

I am gett ing a msg. the systax is incorrect. I even tried at command prmpt and I get the same msg.

When this is working I am going to feel pretty stupid I am sure. We always had novell as our file/print server and all scripts were run from there. We did have 16 other NT 4 servers but none rand scripts.

Like I said these are windows 95 stations.

9x clients can use the subst command which will go further than 2 folders deep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back