Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Home Directory Mapping

Status
Not open for further replies.

msy

Technical User
Aug 12, 2003
AU
Hi all,

I have problem with mapping user Home Directory in NT 4. I dont use a logon script to map home directory. I set the home directory for using user manager.

ex: \\server1\homedirectory\user1

but when the user logon, It doesn’t actually map to the home directory itself. It only maps to the homedirectory share.

I'm running NT4 server and NT4 workstation.

How can i map to the user?.

thx all

Also make sure that the user has permissions to the share and to the filesystem.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

hi,

Lemon13, I tried using %user%. But NO luck.

Matt,user has correct permissions to the share and to the filesystem.

thx guys..

create a share for the individual user folders? (so \\server1\usershare)

Hey, I just realized that lemon typed user, it should be username...

%username%

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

hi all,

tired using %username%. Still no luck.

if i connect to the server from Windows 2000 or XP it does map correctly to the user home directory.

This problem only happens when i connect from a NT 4 WK machine..

thx all

I would share one of the home folders in question, go to the corresponding NT4 user account, and set the home directory letter, for example H.

So set the letter to H, and the to should be \\servername\sharename

Then make a copy of the login script, and rename it for this user. So if everybody is using login.bat, make a testlogin.bat. Specify it in that user's account. Now, edit it, remove whatever you have there for the home directory mapping, and put in

net use H: /HOME

Matt J.

msy,

I always had this problem when we used NT workstations. We used to set the home directories to \\server1\sharename\%username% and it always ended up pointing to the sharename. I never did find a way round it, although now we are all using XP the problem has gone.

I don't recommend sharing individual users' home directories as browsing a server's resources afterwards becomes a nightmare.

As I too have shared your pain, I'll see if I can find anything out there. I'll post anything I find.

Rik

I found this which may be the solution you are looking for:-

=================================================
Map a drive letter to a share's subdirectory

NT doesn't let you map a drive letter to a share's subdirectory. This can be annoying in home directories, where users can use Windows Explorer to view other users' directories. A great workaround is to use the SUBST command to map the drive. SUBST lets you use Uniform Naming Convention (UNC) paths and environment variables in the command line. You simply add
the following command to the logon script:

SUBST h: \\logonserver\users\%username%

This command tells NT to map the H drive to the directory under the user's share that matches the name of the user logging on.
===============================================

Hope it helps

Rik

I am having a similar problem with an NT 4.0 server and Win 95/98 clients. I feel incompetent I can't get a simple logon scipt to work. My problem is that the logon script says "the device is already in use" or something to that effect. I have a very simple mapping logon script:

net use Z: \\Srv1\%username%

The %username% has directories for all my users and each one of their directories is shared and they have Full Control access to their personal folders. Also, in my profile in the User Manager, each user has their Home Directory set to Z: \\Srv1\userA and this corresponds again to their home directory. The home directory part works perfect with my Windows XP clients, but for 95/98, the logon script does not map, nor does the home directory mapping work. I can manually map a drive on each of the 95/98 clients, but that is simply not efficient. I just need to know why the logon script says the device is already in use, even though I can do a manual mapping once the computer is completely booted up. Thanks in advance for any help.

P.S. I hate to post this on someone else's thread, but I hope it offers some help to whoever needs it.

username variable doesn't exist (by default) in the 95/8 environment (and home directory mapping doesn't work for 95/8 clients either - that's where 95/8 look for the profile folder).

Sorry I can't remember workrounds for this (its been a while) - you can set up a variable called username in autoexec.bat, but how to populate it? Could try forum615 (95/8) or forum55 (NT server).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back