Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Home Directories not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intensity109

IS-IT--Management
Jun 16, 2002
AU
Hi everyone,

recently we re-arranged the file structures on the NT4 server, and changed the login script around, which changed the home directory to map to drive H: instead of drive S:

the problem is now that when the user logs in, the drives map, but as soon as the user clicks on the drive it says "access denied" and it wont give them access to the drive, what is also interesting is that any user in the Administrator group when their home directory maps they get the root of the users volume instead of their own specified home directory.

with the old layout the diffrent groups of users had their home directorys spread out onto different folders on different drives, they have now been collated together so it looks like this

\\server\users\admins
\\server\users\staff
\\server\users\students

the old structure was:

\\server\admins
\\server\staff
\\server\students
with a individule share for each folder, which was a waste of drive mappings :)

if anyone has any ideas on how we can resolve this issue i would much appreciate your help!

thanks in advance!
Simon

How are you mapping in your scripts?

Are you mapping via %username% or some other method? It sounds like the login scripts are not directing the h: to the correct location or "share" no the server.

im mapping the home directorys h: via the following method:

net use h: /home

however, after further investigation into the problem i found that the security in the share of the drive not under the security tab but under share/security there was only Domain Admins, so i added the appropriate access to the share....now however when i map the drive using the following method it maps the drive to the root of the users volume,

so
\\server\users

not \\server\users\staff\%username%

thanks for the memory jolt Andreh

What i have done to solve a similar problem in the past is the share the \\server\users\staff\%username% at the username level for all users with a ($) at the end. eg:

\\server\users\staff\%username%$

This hides the share from the network.

I have also only given that user "change" rights in the permissions of the share. You also give the Domain Admin "Full Control" rights for the share. By doing this, you will only need to map the drive the shared drive on the server within the script. eg:

net use h: \\server\%username%$

This is what i currently use successfully for your exact problem.

Hope this helps

thanks Andreh!

that helped alot :)

yaay now everyone can have their home directories back

(no more hiding in dark corners for me)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back