Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Home Built Upgraded

Status
Not open for further replies.

drpigskin

Technical User
Mar 15, 2003
US
After I upgraded my daughter's computer to a Duron 1800 on a QDI Kudoz 7 v2 board all I get is the computer to power on and no post, not even a single beep. I tried putting the AMD 1100 back in and the same problem exists. What could be causes this, I tried reseating both the CPU and the Memory stick?
Duron 1800
60 Maxtor
QDI Kudoz 7 V2
Windows 2000
Geforce4 MX400
256 DDR 3200

PS I posted it on the board because I also upgraded the hard drive to a Maxtor 40Gb. I am sure that it can handle it since I was just replacing a 30gb hard drive

Yes I did reset the bios jumper, I tried it both ways just in case I had it wrong

The PS fan is running?

Fan over cpu running?

there is a small connector like 4 pin that goes near the cpu for power, is this attached?

Yes the PS fan is running and so it the fan on top of the heatsink, the lights on the Optical drives also work. It seems to totally power up other than it wont post. As for the secopndary power connecter this board doesnt have one

Does the possibility of a short where the board attaches to case exist, ie on one of the little posts?

Any video at all?

what about the little connector between case and board?

is it not loose?

I take that this is the same case working before?

As far as I can tell there isnt a short in the board, it work prior to upgrading the CPU and I didnt not remove or replaced the board. I dont even get the slightest bit of a video signal. The monitor keeps telling me to check the connections. Right now I am going to try a different computer and board to see if the processor will work there. Please wish me luck, the frustation will this is half of the problem

Sounds like the video card is loose/bad. Remove the board and make sure it is plugged in securely, AGP boards need to fit real tight.

Try disconnecting everything apart from keyboard, graphics card/monitor (properly fitted!), memory (just one stick if > one) & cpu. I'd also remove and reseat the motherboard, just to make sure nothing is shorting it out.
See if it will boot to a POST screen. If it will, just connect back items one at a time. If it won't, sounds like mobo, graphics card or cpu is kaput.

Took all of your advice and it tends to point to the motherboard. So I have ordered a new one off of Newegg.com. It is suppose to arrive tomorrow so we will see if this fixes the problem. I will keep you all informed, thanks.

drpigskin
Given the above info I would say the motherboard is the least likely to be faulty.
My money is on the power supply, possibly failing on one rail, or less likely, faulty CPU's
I would think the board needs to be flashed to recognise the Duron 1800 (266fsb)
Also* when fitting both CPU's did you fit the heatsink on the correct way around and with paste? recess in the base of the heatsink must be positioned so it locates over the raised cam box of the CPU socket.
If the H/S fan was fitted incorrectly it is possible both CPU's were overheated and damaged (everything runs but no post) also is the old fan up to cooling this newer hotter chip?
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Just to add, you need a differant front side bus setting for the 1800 Duron of 133 (266) either by jumper or soft menue in the bios.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

The motherboard arrive a day early and it took me about 20 minutes to swap it out with the old one. I hooked all of the rear cables back up and hit the power button, didnt have a good view of the monitor so we I didnt hear a beep, I assumed that it was doing the same thing. I bented around and took a look at the front of the monitor and what do I see but the damn thing loading up windows. Seems that I had the case speaker hooked up wrong so I couldnt hear the post beep. Got all of the drivers loaded and now it is purring like a kitten. Thanks for all of the help that everyone gave me. Next time I have an issue, it will get posted here first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back