Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Home Automation

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbaughma

IS-IT--Management
Staff member
Nov 21, 2003
US
So, I've learned several lessons in my dive into home automation.

I'm currently using an Amazon-based system (alexa), and Wifi-enabled RGB smart bulbs.

Here's what I've learned so far:
1) Pick a vendor, and stick with them.
2) Expect things to not work well, if at all, if your internet is out / slow / etc.
3) Wifi-enabled devices are convenient and cheaper, but put a heck of a load on your wireless infrastructure.
4) When the power goes out and comes back on, so does EVERY LIGHT IN THE HOUSE.

So, that being said, I'm looking for some recommendations or ideas.
1) I'd like to bring the home automation "internal" and stop relying on Alexa. Has anyone done this? I'd still like voice control (perhaps intercepting my existing Alexa devices?) Anyone done this, heard of it being done, or had experience doing it?
2) I'd like to perhaps redo my smart bulbs and switches (I'm currently using Gosund... they're all right, and reasonably priced, but LOTS of wifi traffic). I looked at Philips "Hue", with Zigbee protocol. It would mean a hub, but a hub would mean I'm only using one IP for the hub, and all the bulbs/etc. then connect to the hub. Only issue here is: Gosund RGB Smart Bulb - $5. Philips Hue RGB Smart Bulb - $25. O_O

So, I'd love some guidance from folks who have played with this stuff. Like I said, I'd like to bring the automation controls internal (not internet dependent) for sure, but I don't want to make another mistake and go down a path that it will take me a long time to backtrack from. :D

Just my $.02

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Have a look at tp-link Tapo

It uses matter as the protocol

it is very cost effective.

General Geek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back