Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Holiday management

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beecky

IS-IT--Management
Dec 16, 2006
BE
Hi,

I would like to know if anybody has expirience with holiday management on an exchange server.
We would like to centralize all the holiday requests for our employees. Currently we use a tool for this in lotus notes. But We are thinking to migrate to exchange, but off course we need migrate all the applications.

Any idea ?

regards

Beecky

Can you provide more information on what you are looking to do? Are you just looking for a centralized calendar? If so a public folder set to hold Calendar items is probably the solution you are looking for.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Mark,

Our intention goes further than that. The centralized calender is only a part.
Currently we go a lot further. Every employe can see how many vacation days are available, how many days he used allready. Also the different types of official holidays must be in there like, holiday, extra work hours ...etc
There needs to be a link for requesting holidays and inform the manager and the HR-office..
So it goes way further than the centralized calender.

any idea ?

regards

David

I don't think that would be too hard to do, but naturally it will require some kind of database backend. SQL is your best bet. Could use SQL Express if you don't have licensing. Then combine that with some ASP.Net code to give the user interface.

Outlook/Exchange do not offer any of this as features. Frankly, neither does your notes server, it is the written Notes application that currently gives you that and Notes server simply copies it for you from place to place.

A project like this would take about 20 hours of programming/testing time by my estimates. I personally think coming away from Notes is a great idea having supported both Notes and Exchange during my career. If you are not familiar with databases or ASP.Net code then you might be bewt served by hiring someone to take care of this project for you. Design your applicaiton out on paper first and that will help your consultant get the work done faster.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

I wonder is SharePoint could do that..... I'm no SharePoint engineer, but it does tie in nicely with Exchange. You might try asking in the SharePoint forum - forum820

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Thanks for the reply ...

Any other advice is welcome, I will check with our ASP programmer what he can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back