Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hoe to control PC with Harmony Logitech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nifrabar

Programmer
Mar 16, 2003
NL
Hi!

I am having a Harmony Logitech IR remote control and an IR (USB) IR receiver.
Anyone who can point me to a solution how to switch on/off the pc using those?

TIA
-Bart

1. Are you able to control other functions on the PC with the remote? If not, check that you've the correct drivers installed, such as for the IR connection.

2. If you're wanting to "turn on" the computer with the remote, to the best of my knowledge, that is not possible. I did recently reinstall a home media PC with Win7, and was able to bring the computer out of sleep mode... but not from totally being turned off. I also don't think it's readily possible once the computer has gone into hibernation. I believe the reason for all of this is that the remotes only work within Windows, and not at the BIOS level.

I'd be more than happy to find out I am wrong on this, b/c that would mean that it's just something to learn rather than being stuck without the possibility.

One idea is that you could look at the "power on" events in your BIOS settings to see if any options there might work.

Oh, and for future reference, this type of post would fit best in the following forum:
forum750

Thanks for reply.
Yes, I want to switch on PC from being switched off.
I think this must be possible by connecting RX-device to power button but that's a solution for later stage.
Getting PC from sleep-mode will be fine for now.
-Bart

Yes, it's pretty easy to do; I did it with my home PC and Harmony. Easy that is, provided you have the kit for the job.

What you'll need is a TV/Tuner/Video card that has the ability to turn on the PC. They are cheap, I picked one up from ebay for £15. You don't need to worry about features, just the ability to turn on the computer.

The PC power switch would then go onto the card, and the card has a cable that goes to the motherboard.

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

Hey, that's definitely interesting. I was not even aware any of the tuners could turn the computer on. Are they all PCI that can do that, or are some of the USB connectable? Reason I'm asking is that I know in my current machine, I've got one PCI slot, and it's taken.

Hi there,

I imagine they are all PCI, you'd need the connection to the motherboard. I suspect that they have a battery pack in-built in, can PCI devices be powered in the same way network cards can?

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

Hi!
What PC-card has susch a feature?
-Bart

I was really looking for a comment about "hoes". You know - the tool you use in the garden, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back