Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ho do I enable the fast user switching?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Usalabs1

Technical User
Jun 29, 2003
US
I have tried several times to enable to fast user switching option in the user accounts, but everytime I try it disables itself, there are 2 accounts enabled on the computer 1 is the password protected, primary admin account, and the other is the guest account, I tried changing the option using the admin account, but failed, there is no error displayed or anything like that, just the option doesn't change, I would like the 'WINKEY+L' combination to work, so that I can change to the guest account when I have finished using the admin account, for other users to use the guest account, without having to log off each time.

It would be best not to use the Guest Account, but create a new account for all users. This avoids two problems: The denial of dial-up access to the Internet to the Guest Account; and the autologon feature of XP when there is only 1 "real" account + the Guest Account.

1. Guests cannot dial-up to the Internet.

This problem doesn't affect every computer. If you access the Internet through a cable or DSL account, for instance, your Internet connection is always "turned on," even if it's not being currently accessed. That lets Guest account users surf the Web without problem.

Guest account users accessing the Internet through a networked computer usually won't have a problem, either.

But if you access the Internet through a dial-up modem, your baby sitter won't be able to log on through the Guest account to check for e-mail.

There's a solution, but it's a bit awkward. First, download and run this program from Kelly's Korner Web site. You only need to run that program once.

Then, follow these steps when you want to allow the Guest account to access the Internet:

. Enable "Fast User Switching" on Windows XP.
. Connect to the Internet using your Administrator or Limited account.
. Use Fast User Switching to log onto the Guest account.

If you create a new limited user account, there is no issue with dial-up access to the LAN.

2. The Autologon Issue.

The Guest account is not relevant when Windows determines if there is only one user without a password. If there is only one user registered on the computer, the "Welcome" logon screen is not displayed before the account is logged on. You can use the Fast User Switching feature to gain access to the Guest account.

Note that this behavior occurs only if the user account is part of a workgroup (not a domain) and any of the following conditions exist:
. No password is configured for the user account.
. No other users are registered on the computer.

This is the default behavior of XP, and adding a password to the Administrator account and/or adding a real second user will prevent this from happening.

A final note about Fast User Switching. If you use the "offline" files feature, including Briefcase, Fast User Switching is disabled and cannot be enabled.

Sorry for the long delay.

I figured it out, that the fast switching problem was because of PGP, after uninstalling it, I can use fast switching.

I created a seperate, passwordless, limited account for any guests, and disabled the guest account, everything works fine now. Thanks.

I am trying to enable to fast user switching option in the user accounts, but everytime I try it disables itself, there are 2 accounts enabled on the computer - both are password protected, and set as Administrators. I tried changing the option on either accounth but it failed, there is no error displayed or anything like that, just the option doesn't change

For Fast User Switching to be enabled:

. You must use the Welcome Screen logon method
. You cannot enable the use of offline folders
. You must be the local administrator
. You cannot be a member of a Domain

Thanks bcastner, but all of those requirements are fulfilled and it still doesn't work.
When i check the "use fast switching" checkbox in the user accounts control panel it checks, but then if i say ok and go right back to it it unchecked again.
when i try to switch users the screen just kind of flashes once and nothing happens.

Make sure the Fast User Switching Compatibility service and (its Dependent service) Terminal Services service are Started and set to Automatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back