Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HMC Version 7 slow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankieAIX

Technical User
Apr 28, 2004
US
Has anyone else experienced a much longer response times between HMC Version 6 & HMC Version 7?

I have tried to change the HMC ethernet settings to 100FULL, however the system just defaults back to AutoNegotiate.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to improve the speed in HMC Version 7?

The slowness is experienced both directly on the HMC, and through the Web Interface.

This slowness is also seen while inputting commands to LPAR's using VTERM windows....

-FrankieAIX

Yep seeing exactly the same thing.

Mike

"Whenever I dwell for any length of time on my own shortcomings, they gradually begin to seem mild, harmless, rather engaging little things, not at all like the staring defects in other people's characters."

try from the HMC command line, either local or via an ssh connection, using the mkvterm or vtmenu commands, the console opened in this way seems to be unaffected by the V7 vterm problems.

interesting, how would one break out of a vterm started from the vtmenu script?

Breslau,

Link that post to this thread so others may see the solution.

Yep, tilde dot is the way out.

Exit the session to get back to the login screen, then ~. but the timing window is quite short, about a second, maybe less, so if you get stuck type faster.

Since I found vterm I have not used the GUI vterm.

If I want an lpar console I just ssh to the hmc and vtmenu, seems to work for power 4/5/6 and is soooo much faster than loading the remote websm or even the V7 http interface.

how can i specify that mkvterm thing on ssh , i use putty and hamming bird terminals ..

thank you,

NAME

mkvterm - open a virtual terminal session

SYNOPSIS

mkvterm -m managed-system

{-p partition-name | --id partition-ID} [--help]

DESCRIPTION

mkvterm opens a virtual terminal session for an AIX(R), Linux(TM), or virtual I/O server partition. After establishing a virtual terminal session, the ~ character sequence can be entered in the terminal window to terminate it, or the rmvterm command can be used to force the session to be closed. A partition can only have one open virtual terminal session at a time.

OPTIONS

-m
The name of the managed system which has the partition for which to open the virtual terminal session. The name may either be the user-defined name for the managed system, or be in the form tttt-mmm*ssssssss, where tttt is the machine type, mmm is the model, and ssssssss is the serial number of the managed system. The tttt-mmm*ssssssss form must be used if there are multiple managed systems with the same user-defined name.

-p
The name of the partition for which to open the virtual terminal session. You must either use this option to specify the name of the partition, or use the --id option to specify the partition's ID. The -p and the --id options are mutually exclusive.

--id
The ID of the partition for which to open the virtual terminal session. You must either use this option to specify the ID of the partition, or use the -p option to specify the partition's name. The --id and the -p options are mutually exclusive.

--help
Display the help text for this command and exit.

EXAMPLES

Open a virtual terminal session for partition p1:

mkvterm -m mySystem -p p1

Open a virtual terminal session for the partition with an ID of 1:

mkvterm -m 9406-570*12345678 --id 1

ENVIRONMENT

None

BUGS

None

SEE ALSO

rmvterm

Service Pack 1 available

Don't know if it fixes anything useful....

Mike

"Whenever I dwell for any length of time on my own shortcomings, they gradually begin to seem mild, harmless, rather engaging little things, not at all like the staring defects in other people's characters."

Hi all,

I have experienced the same slow interaction with version 7. I got sick an tired of it and decided to do a fresh install of version 7, where I had previously upgraded from 6 to 7. This solved everything for me!

That's an interesting post Gosse. Good to know. Thanks!

I've just been "dealing" with the slowness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back