Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hmc : open console of lpar but can't type anuthing??? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexia32

Technical User
Jul 31, 2007
NZ
Hi,

I have installed a new hmc (7042CR4 v7r31).
I have added my managed machine (a p52A) I have my AIX lpar. Check everything, profiles etc..
The Partition communication is selected...
I have enable the remote things:
Remote Command Execution : Enable or disable the command line interface on an HMC
Remote Virtual Terminal : Enable or disable virtual terminal connections for remotely connected HMC sessions
Remote Operation : Control whether this HMC can be operated using a web browser from a remote

I have tried to open a console with terminal window. It has opened it correctly. I have the console login but when I try to type root or any characters nothing appear. I can't type anything!!!

Do you have any idea ?

Thanks in advance for any help
Cheers
Al.

Check your new machine, the LED has a setting on all new machines , sometimes it has to be changed to allow HMC interface. Check the models manual. I had to do this for my P550's when they came. Just switch the LED from standalone to HMC controled, reboot and walla. See if thats it.

Hi
Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me how you did?

I will try to find out on the IBM website for this model, but don;t know where/what to search (if you have some info like check chapter talking about...).

Thanks in advance
Cheers
Al.

Hi again

forget to say it is not a new machine ... so perform a reboot will take some time as I need to ask for an outage...
But it is a new HMC, we just bought and until now our pseries werent managed by an hmc...
I have installed and add my pseries and can see them perfectly and the lpar (only one ) only for the console...

I didn;t find any documentation of this model p520...
Al.

When the p5 is connected to a hmc the console device must be changed.

What console did you use before the HMC was added, serial or LFT / graphics?

Does the p5 operator panel show HMC=0 or HMC=1?

What code level is the HMC?
'lshmc -v' or 'lshmc -V' from the HMC console.

What firmware level is the p5?
'lsmcode' or 'lsconf | head' from AIX.

POWER5 and POWER5+ servers must have firmware SF240_299, or later, installed before being managed by an HMC using V7R3.1.0 code level.

Hi,

here the version of the HMC (it is the new one v7r3 - my p520 are old and ony 1 lpar each)
lshmc -V
"version= Version: 7
Release: 3.1.0
Service Pack: 0
HMC Build level 20070622.1
MH01015: Required fix for HMC V7R3.1.0 (05-29-2007)
MH01030: Security fix for HMC V7R3.1.0 (06-22-2007)
","base_version=V7R3.1.0
"

I just install it and try to configure it. I didn;t yet install the latest fix, I had some many issues with firewall to fix first...

here the firmware of the p520:
# lsmcode -c
The current permanent system firmware image is SF230_145
The current temporary system firmware image is SF240_219
The system is currently booted from the temporary firmware image.

second p5 - lpar
# lsmcode -c
The current permanent system firmware image is SF230_143
The current temporary system firmware image is SF240_219
The system is currently booted from the temporary firmware image.

Thanks in advance for any help

Cheers
Al.

I have also tested some command like lspartition -c
but I didn't get any result and I have RMC enable on the firewall settings...
I am still looking... still have the console open but can;t type anything...
Cheers
Al.

firewall is fine everything has been opened to perform some tests
when I run lscons command on the aix i have this /dev/lft0

Hi,

The LFT is the graphics console, so the system is probably not sending output to the HMC console which will be vty0 or similar.

Check your vty devices and redefine the system console, you will need to do this in AIX and SMS.

You also need to update the system firmware for HMC V7 support:

SF240_299 and higher is required.

Firmware download and instructions:

Thanks I need to update the p5 ... can I do it online ?or do I have to power off/on... As it is only on update

According to the doc's 201 was the last disruptive level and your system is at 219 so you can update online BUT because there are deferred fixes you will probably need a reboot to get the required fixes online.

When IBM say you can do it online, I wouldn't on a live production system unless I at least have the chance to reboot if required - never do it during production hours if it is a production system.

Hi
I have update the firmware and this solve my problem with the console!!!

Cheers
Al.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back