Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HMC Critical Console Data 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

drencep

MIS
Sep 25, 2003
US
Hi,

I upgraded my HMC from 4.3.3 to 5.1.2 (with patch). I'm making a backup of the Critical Console Data and it's taking forever. It used to be about 30MB in 4.3.3 and not it's about 300MB and it's still growing. Is this normal? What's the typical size of CCD for V5.1.2. Just 1 partition by the way.

TIA!

A BCCD backup is an archive of all files changed since last installation time. Depending on what recovery media you used to go to version 5 and which patches (e.g. InfoCenter update: 2 CDs at 960MB total) you applied since then, it can be a bulky archive.

HTH,

p5wizard

Thanks. That's exactly what happened. After I upgraded to 5.1.0, I then installed the mandatory patches - 2 CDs at about 500MB each using the Install Corrective Service.

Is there a way to avoid this. I saw a posting that suggested to do a Save Upgrade Data and boot from the CD. Are the patch CDs bootable? Or is there a bootable CD that includes the mandatory patches?

No, you'll have to live with this I'm afraid. Even for V6.1 there's already quite some MBs of fixes to apply.

But there's recovery media that starts at level 510 and another set that starts at level 521, so it might make a difference if you start from 521 and apply fixes for that level only...

But you don't need to make a BCCD backup every day. I only make one after modifications to the HMC (fixes, added server, upgrade level, TCPIP modif.)

HTH,

p5wizard

If my HMC drive failed, do I need to install the patches on top of the Recovery CD before I restore my BCCD? It seems to me that it's being backup so it should restore it.

Thanks p5wizard!

After disk crash/repair, reinstall from the media you last installed and on final reboot put that BCCD DVD in the drive, all files that were changed since the last time you reinstalled will be restored to the newly installed disk, including all fixes and customizations.

HTH,

p5wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back