Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hitachi branded as HP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TekAndy

Technical User
Mar 6, 2007
US
Just wondering if the HP XP512 is just a branded Hitachi 9970? Are there major differences? Thanks

Andy

OK got the answer....it's actually the same as 9960. Now, I just need to know if the disk drives are interchangable? Or do I need HP drives for an HP 512?

The main difference between the HP version and it's HDS parent is the software. HP takes the array and places their software on it. This tweeks the XP to run better in an AIX environment verses any other OS. There are no physical differences that I am aware of, and I have had several of the Sun rebranded HDS enterprise boxes (9960/Lightning and 9990/USP). If you buy it through HP, their support will take care of disks and all that for you. It will most likely be HDS drives, but support is responsible for getting the right parts when they fail / break.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Albert Einstein

Thanks for the info. I'm actually looking at used equipment. Not supported. Just wondering what is compatible. All help is appreciated. My specialty is tape and libraries, (STK, Fujitsu, ETC.....)

I would imagine that any 300G, 15k FC drive would be compatible with any other 300G, 15k FC drive (for example). But I don't know their support matrix on that, since each drive is given the microcode from the frame.

If you're looking at an XP, but aren't an AIX shop I would highly recommend looking at the rebranded SUN 9960 or HDS Lightning 9960 instead. The XP is highly tweeked for AIX and is really not considered the best of the three for non-AIX shops. But if you're looking at used and those aren't available used then I guess that kind of makes up your mind for you. ;-)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Albert Einstein

The difference between HP and HDS/SUN HighEnd storage systems is the software and the version of microcode. The hardware of the XP512 and HDS9960 is the same. The same is with HP XP1024 and HDS 9980V. But be careful, these disks have a special firmware. You only may use disks from 'Hitachi Systems' (SUN, HDS, HP) not from EMC, IBM or disks you buy from any other store. This means you may take disk from HP, SUN, HDS storage systems if they have the same partnumber.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back