Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hit start button, little green light and nothing else...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulforchy

Technical User
Dec 4, 2004
US
This just happened last night, and I still cant get the damn thing to start. Previously the computer would sometimes do this, but generally restarting it would boot up fine. This time no such luck. I hit the start button, the little green light comes on for the hard drive and the cdrom, but no little red light, no bios screen, nothing else. I can hear something spinning but I cant tell if its just the fan or if its the fan and the hard drive. Ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance.
Pauly

Demove the CPU and memory. Put CPU back in (making sure you use new "grease" on CPU cooler). Clean memory contacts with a pencil eraser and put back in. Pull and replace all the boards and data cables. Post back with results.

Check for proper voltage at the power supply.
Had same issue happen on a Dell CPU and found it to be a bad Power supply.

I appreciate the advice. I will not get a chance to refresh everything until I get some extra $$$.
Another gentleman suggested it might be the motherboard, any thoughts on that?
And how would I check the voltage at the power supply?
Thanks again.

First thing i would suspect is the power supply. You can get a real cheap meter to check the voltages for the power supply. If you can, borrow a known good power supply for someone. That way you can open your computer up and plug all your stuff into this power supply even though its outside the case and then try booting. If all works then you know its the power supply.
Second thing would be the cpu or the fan for the cpu.

As mentioned by micker, re-seating the cpu and fan and cleaning the contacts on your ram would be in order as well.
You can do all these things yourself at no cost. Go to places like anandtech and other places, you can google them, and you will find places that will teach you how to re-seat the cpu/fan setup. You can go to intel or amd websites for that as well.
Course people here will help you as well. I suggest you get going on this and find the prob. You may solve it without spending any money!

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Oh ya, you didnt mention if your video was onboard or via a video card, but that needs to be checked as well.

Actually, there is one thing to do before all of the things mentioned, especially if your computer has been moved around ar could have been bumped around a bit where it sits.
That would be to unhook and then hook up all the external plug-ins for your unit, starting with the power cord and all else, and then go inside the computer and check all ide connections and all other connections. Again, that costs nothing and may solve the prob.

I assume the power supply is the steel box inside the case? Are those universal, or should I bring the old one with me when purchasing a new one?
I will check out those sites when I get a chance, thanks.

What brand and year is the computer? There are two main types of power supply. Look at the plug that goes from the power supply to the mother board, it can be two slim side by side plugs (xxxxxx xxxxxx), one 20 pin rectangle, (xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx),
or something weird! If not as the first 2 described, take the whole computer in to a shop and ask them what you need. If you do remove the old one, carefully mark the connectors so you can put them back on correctly. Be especially careful when you put the power connector to the floppy drive back on, it can go on wrong (causes smoke!). You don't have to remove the data (wide flat) cables.

P.S. From first response - "Demove"? Should be "remove"! Gonna' have to quit typing when tired. <grin>

I am guessing that your computer is not a very old at type, like a 486 or very early pentium.
Therefore you would have a standard atx or a pentium 4 power supply. The only difference is that a P4 power supply has an extra little square connector that plugs into the motherboard. I think they are all the same, having 2 black and 2 yellow wires on them. If not, then you have a standard atx power supply. You should be able to borrow one from someone and use it to connect your motherboard and ide cables as mentioned above. Then, on the motherboard you will see what wires are connected to the motherboard that are also connected to the case, where you push the switch to turn it on. All you have to do is take the jumper off these pins and take the flat blade of a screwdriver to touch both of the pins and your motherboard will either start or attempt to start. People here would help you do this if you want.
I dont want to step on mickers toes as he know more than i do, but i dont think you even have to connect the floppy drive right off the bat. If you connect the ide drives and the main power connector and get the computer to power up and go to windows, then you know the old power supply is broken.

garebo's right, you may not need the floppy connected to test. I was just emphasizing the connector to the floppy CAN be put on wrong and cause damage. The other power connections are one-way only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back