Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

History still there! 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

karmafree

Programmer
May 10, 2001
GB
Under "Tools | Internet Options..."
in IE6 running winXP Pro,
I have done:

1. Delete Cookies
2. Delete Files
3. Clear History

Further to that I've got TweakUI
installed to clear all logs and
everything like that on boot;
- I mean EVERYTHING!

STILL, there is one URL that
pop-ups when I hit the first
letter of it in the address bar!

Even stranger, is that it does not
appear anywhere else in the history
folders - the folders are empty!
It only appears when I enter the
first letter of the URL in the
address bar.

How can I clear this ghost URL in
the address bar?

Thanks,
karmafree.

In addition to the steps you've taken, have you turned off Autocomplete and set History to 0 days?

FWIW, what's the URL?

1. Auto-complete is off

2. History is set to 0

3. Temporary Internet Files folder
is empty and set to 1MB
- always cleared on boot

4. History folder is empty
- always cleared on boot

5. All logs and run histories and
all other types of histories are
always cleared on boot using
MS TweakUI XP Powertoys v2

6. Logged-in as "Administrator"
in WindowsXP Professional
- the only existing account

What else?!

This is the URL that is spooking my browser:
- and all its visited pages

just finished up with this problem with the "open" dialogue box, Every time I'd open it several links would be sitting the when I hit "w" this is what I did to correct the problem:

1)deleted cookies,temp files and recent files.
2) page history to zero
3) went to internet options\content\autocomplete and unchecked all the boxes and disabled it.
4) went to advanced and checked the "empty temp files when browser is closed" box
5)restarted and they where gone.

hopes this works for you. ISO

Hey,

I did everything you said and it worked.
However, if you switch AutoComplete and
Inline AutoComplete back on, the URLs are
still there! So technically they are
still there but you have hidden them.

I dare all you paranoid folks out there using
all these 3rd party programs who think they
have no history to fire up the browser and
enter each letter of the alphabet into the
address-bar to establish whether they really
have removed all history!

karmafree.

Did you search the registry for the URL , e.g. in
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs]

Yes, I have searched the registry
but no such URL was found; actually
there were no URLs there at all under
that path or anywhere else apart for
the usual MS ones that come with the OS.

Some how the URL has seemed to got
established with the OS; it's like
typing in "r" in the address bar
and bringing up "Radio Station Guide".
If you think your history is clear,
go to the address bar and delete any
text there and hit the down-arrow
cursor key, this will bring up a list
of all OS related URLs and other ones
that you may not want there!

Anyway, I've solved the problem now.
I formatted the hard drive and
re-built the whole darn thing;
that always gets it everytime;
sadly the solution to all problems.

For the future .

Spider finds hidden Url's that other mean's don't .
Cleans >
1 . Hidden Url's .
2 . Tempory Internet Files .
3 . History Files .
4 . Cookies .
Click on Spider , not Spider Bite .

That's a nice little program, that Spider! I had hundreds of hidden urls that I thought had been deleted! Thanks,
jmatt!! "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

tried spider as i was having same problem as karma. program worked wonderfully. there is nothing like a short concise program to take care of things. thank you as well for the suggestion jmatt!

Jmatt i cannot remove a url even using the spider. I have IE 6. Does the spider work only on IE 5x and not on IE 6??
URL is still there.

Let me know if I have to do any thing else.

kd

kd , have just had another look at the Spider site & found this reference to IE6 , but could not find anything else .

Introduction

I discovered a privacy 'bug/feature' in Internet Explorer3/4/5 (for important informatio about IE6, see history): IE stores the visited URLs in some hidden files and whenyou clean your cache and history, this information is notdeleted! I wrote a software program to scan these hidden filesfor URLs and to put those URLs in a file. So the user's privacy is at stake because anyone with this program, can go to the PC ofsomebody else and see the URLs he has visited!

--------------------------------------------------------

Here are notes , from my files on the subject .

IE tricks .

-------------------------------

14. Remove Unwanted Entries from your Address Bar:
Remove those unwanted urls without having to clear your history!

--------------------------------------

-------------------------------

EditURLs lets you edit the drop-down URL address list in Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.x thru
6.x. The easy-to-use interface displays all the current addresses, enabling you to save the
list for future recall, clear the list completely, and edit or delete individual URLs. The
program could be used for privacy and other reasons.

----------------------------------

Delete Unwanted URLS .
When you type a URL in the Address Bar it gets added to a listing that can be accessed by
clicking on the down arrow at the right side of the address bar. You can remove the URLs listed
in the Address Bar pull-down listing by launching RegEdit and going to
HKEY_USERS\Default\Software\MicrosoftInternetExplorer\TypedURLs. Delete any URLs you don't want viewed.

In Windows 2000, this key is located here: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MicrosoftInternet Explorer\TypedURLs.

---------------------------------

To clear Web address entries , on the General tab in the Internet Options , click Clear History .
Or , for individual entries , open up IE & click on History . Locate the entry from the left
hand side of the page, right click & in the pop up menu , click delete .
Or install , this Free browser , which has a built in pop up stopper . ( don't add , About
Blank , to your filter list )
Click on > Tools > Clear History > URLs Typed in Address Bar .
Uses very little resources ( No Add's ) & is as good as any other browser .
Intergrates quitely into your system , does not take over . you can still run your normal
browser , if you wish .

---------------------------------------------

For Internet Explorer, right-click on the taskbar, choose properties, click the Start Menu
Programs tab and click the Clear button.

This deletes the following keys:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RunMRU
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Doc Find Spec MRU

I have IE6 and Spider works like a charm (thanks, btw). If you have windows xp, (or which other OSes put their stuff into the "Documents and Settings" folder, make sure you make Spider scan the whole hard drive, not just the windows directory, because the temp files are no longer kept in the windows directory in XP.

Here is what I found from personal experience:

I did some more research and found this in a November 2000 posting :There are 2 ways that address may remain to be seen by others.
1) If you hit the drop down arrow, and see a bunch of addresses that you want to get rid of, these can be deleted by clearing the history in Internet Explorer:

Go to "Tools" then "Internet Options" then use the "Clear History" Button.

2) The second way that an old address will come back to haunt you:
If you start to type, and the address of a site that you have visited before, appears in the address bar, then the site is stored in your favorites folder, and needs to be deleted from there.

If you don't want anyone to see where you've been surfing, clear the history, and don't store these pages in your favorites, because even if you give them a different name in favorites, the real url will appear on your address bar when you type the first few letters of it.

END OF QUOTE

I probably did an overkill but I exported my favorites and cookies then deleted both and went into DOS and did a deltree of index.dat, history, and cookies. The only urls that came up were two shortcuts I had on my desktop and shortcuts on my taskbar. The only problem is when you put your favorites back,the urls come back. At least you now know how to be rid of the little devils for as long as you can get by without your favorites.

Deke
Deke

I may have found your problem and solved it, to anyone whose url's dont go away......

You may have inadvertantly installed something called"chinese keyword Browser Enabled.....

I am providing a link that may switch it off....It worked for me.....
Enjoy.......I found it by chance actually, coz the site was in Chinese, entil i found the eng translation....

Copy these instructions to any text editor, then close your browser and ISP. Get off line, then open this file and proceed.

Go to both:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs

and/or

HKEY_USER\"Your Name"\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs

by going to START/PROGRAMS/MS DOS Prompt

and running REGEDIT (for edit registers).

MINIMIZE the display, then exit MS DOS by typing "exit" after the prompt and pressing the enter key. This should get you back to these instructions for future operations AND ALSO allow you to toggle back and forth between the Register Editor and this screen. [the Registry Editor should now be on your taskbar].

Do not double click on the folders to open them. Click on the "+" sign to display the file tree all the way down to the "TypedURLs" folders. LEFT click ONE TIME on the "TypedURLs" folder to look inside and reveal the URLs that appear in your History Trail.

Hold down the CTRL key and LEFT click ONE TIME on the icon to HIGHLIGHT each URL that you want deleted, then finally press the delete key and select yes.

Now -- THIS IS MOST IMPORTANT -- Each of the remaining URLs must be renamed in the same order so that there are no gaps 'numerically' between them. HIDE YOUR MOUSE so that you will not be tempted to use it and follow the following key sequence [ Yes -- you can write a little macro if you have deleted many, many items -- but beware of mindless application. It will probably be better to make sense of it all until you understand and just get good at doing it. Besides, how will you answer little Johnny's question, "Dad, what's this macro for"?

Use the arrow keys to navigate to the lowest URL number that is out of sequence, then:

ALT+"e" [edit]
"r" [rename]
"End" [moves the cursor to the right end]
"Backspace" (as required) [deletes the old URL number]
"#" [insert what ever integer is next in sequence]
"ENTER"

Repeat as necessary until all URLs are sequentially in order with no gaps.

Close the Register Editor.

Done regularly this is much simpler than it reads.

Good Luck, tahquo.

I have a new gateway, and it came with windows XP, but i am not sure what IE i have, im assuming 6.0? Either way, i have tried the spider, but it doesnt delete my hidden url files. After running the spider check, it says the spider has bitten, and to restart, I do, and when i turn auto complete back on after restarting, the files are still there. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back