Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

historical reports 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rstew3

Vendor
Jan 27, 2004
US
Hey guys. I too am having isues with Historical Reporting. When trying to run any report, it is just opening a new window which states "There is an error accessing the data source!" Any suggestions?

Is it just one client? If so, try uninstalling & reinstalling the client; Sybase install may not have completed properly.

None of the clients using the web client are able to do Historical Reporting. I have verified that Sybase is installed on the web client server, and it also has a default printer. Anything else that I am misssing?

There's also something about permissions in Active Directory that sometimes go awry that can cause this, but I cannot recall the exact scenario. When I do, I'll post; but maybe someone else on the forum can shed some light..

Is the Web Client Server supposed to be a sub-domain of the company, or on it's own domain altogether? For expample, if this server belonged to That Company, Inc., would it be symserver.thatcompany.com, or would it need a new doain name like symserver.webclientserver.com?

At this time, Symposium Web Client needs to be in its own forest entirely -- symserver.webclientserver.com. It needs to have its own Active Directory and be the domain controller in that forest. But there is hope -- once Release 4.5 SU02 comes out, it is planned to be able to work in Active Directory Mode on Windows 2000. But that is in the future..

The Web Client is the only one having the issue. The regular Symposium client is getting the data for the historical reports just fine. Any suggestions?

We've had this problem ever since we had Web Client installed and the only advice we've been given (if you can call it advice) is that the server cannot process the amount of multiple requests that are being made. We do notice an increase in reports of this error at the end of the month, when everyone is trying to run their reports at the same time - eventually our users have accepted this. The fault isn't constant and if they keep trying eventually they get access to the server.

I had forgotten about this thread being out there, but just in case anyone else is still having this issue, it can be resolved by installing Service Update 11.

Reports are running great now.

There is a limit caused by the Crystal Reports engine in Web Server v4.0 that means only 5 reports can be open at one time.

Under Web Server v4.5 this bug is fixed (being that it sues a newer version of Crystal Reports). Be aware though that only 5 reports can be processed at one time.

The actual bug is that when a report is opened the instance is not released on the server until the report is closed. Therefore, although the 5 report limit applies on both Web server versions, on v4.0 only 5 reports can be getting processes and/or viewed at a time, in v4.5 it is only 5 reports can be processed - you can view any number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back