Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HIS Installation Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

garymorris

Programmer
Mar 29, 2002
US
I am trying to install HIS. When I try to open a subdomain, I get an error, &quot;local <Error opening sub-domain>&quot;. I seemed to get around this by creating a 'remote subdomain' using a UNC of my local server, &quot;\\MYSERVER&quot;.

Now, I am trying to create a Link Service. A dialog pops up, asking me which one I would like to add. However, the dialogbox is empty and I cannot add. I tried adding 3rd party link services, I added the driver I need for my SDLC card, and I navigated the CD and installed the Link Services. Why can I not view them? What do you think is wrong?

Thanks!!
Gary Morris
gmorris@govolution.com

Gary,

Sounds like I'm stating the bleeding obvious but, have you looked in the event logs for more clues.

HIS (and its predecessors) log a lot of information in the event logs by default. You can also turn up the level of detail in the MMC.

Please post the actual error messages that you are receiving. It makes it a lot easier.

I have.. here's what happens. I open SNA Manager and try to expand the first level. I get a &quot;Local <Error opening subdomain> error. When I look in the event viewer, I see, &quot;Manage base error - error in accessing the domain table. The local domain name is not valid&quot;. To get around this, I right-click and select &quot;Open Sub-domain&quot;, click 'Remote Sub-domain', and type in the unc of my server \\MYSERVER, which seems to take. When I try to then create a connection, nothing appears on the dialog box, and no errors are generated in the event viewer.

Now.. here is a possibility. During the installation, the installation clearly states, 'If you do not install the prerequisite software, not all options will be displayed.' So I think it's entirely possible that the link services were not installed.. I did not see them as an option during the 'custom installation', although i'm not sure that i'm supposed to..

When I installed, a message stated that the prerequisites not met are the 'msmq-mqseries bridge', which i don't think i need.. and i'm not really quite sure what it is... and, the MSDE 8.0, which I also am not sure I need. However, I did attempt to install the MSMQ from the cd-rom, and i continually got an error message stating it could not find a file that was clearly in the path it was looking. After copying the entire installation directory from the cd-rom to my hard drive and installing from there, it worked.. however, the HIS install program still doesnt believe it's there. This unfortunately is becoming a real mess.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to tell whether they've been installed?

I appreciate your willingness to help. . . and.. i tell you it burns me up that M$ does not offer free installation support.

-gary

Is this the MSDN version?

Is this installed on a Windows server platform?

When you used the SNA Resource Location Wizard, what did you specify this as? Primary or Backup?

MSMQ-MQSeries Bridge is not relevant as far as this problem is concerned. But you might as well remove it. MQSeries is IBM's Message Queueing solution and this provides a gateway from MSMQ to MQSeries.

The problem is now solved. I bit the bullet and paid the $195 M$ tech support fee. They knew the problem pretty much right away. But I don't understand why they could not have had a Knowledgebase article on it, as I did not think it was an 'obvious' problem. Apparently when our servers were deployed, services that were not necessary were disabled. Host Integration Server requires the 'Remote Registry Service' to be enabled. Once I enabled this service, my problem was solved. It was able to recognize the local subdomain and I was able to add connections.

I have noticed that Microsoft Knowledgebase does not list alot of the errors for HIS. I have not upgraded to HIS from 4.0 because of this.

Most of what applied to SNA Server 4.0 also applies to Host Integration Server.

Having said that, SNA Server 4.0 and HIS are extremely stable and what you find is that there isn't much going wrong to write about. :)

I have the same problem and i enabled and run the Remote Registry Service but to no avail ...

I had the same issue. The problem ended up being that the service account was not set up to act as part of the operating system. Changed my GPO and have not had any other problems.

garymorris

You were right. By starting the Remote Registry service I was able to add the server without errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back