Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HIpath V5 Backup Error 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shahid Ali

Technical User
Sep 10, 2017
AE

COPY-DDRSM:UNIT=A1, MASTERID=1, MASTERRAR=E&F, SLAVEID=6, SLAVEAR=E&F;
after excecutin the below command for backup i received this

Error = F11: AREA/DEVICE <:A1H6E:. HAS THE STATE <IN_SERVICE> AND CANNOT BE ACCESSED.

i am not able to take Backup Kindly guide me to solve this problem in hipath v5.

dea activate the area and activate again then try

Regards
Hello ,You can dicuss with me for Hipath 3k and Hipath 4K

Years ago when I worked on the Siemens 9006 the system used DATs (digital audio tapes) for backup media. I recall having to DEA - ACT the DAT drive, but that was usually after a degraded or faulty tape caused the drive to go into defect.

I wonder what media is used these days?

Depends on the hardware.
Think for up to version 5 it is CF cards, but the Hipath is picky which cards.
The newer EcoServers don't have equivalent. The options are NFS or SFTP.

@Hipath4k could you please help me through commands deactivate & activate the area.
Thanks

DEa-dssm
act-dssm

Regards
Hello ,You can dicuss with me for Hipath 3k and Hipath 4K

Interesting, since the newest systems are server based, it seems like external backup media is a thing of the past. Those DATs were very unreliable, I was routinely cleaning the DAT drives. Then the cleaning tapes were getting hard to come by.

I recall DAT drives could be picky too. Once when building a HD to replace one that was going to fail (became very noisy) I had to use one DAT drive to load Unix, and another different one to load RMX from the weekly backup.

DEA-DSSM:A1,6;
EXE-UPDAT:BP,ALL;
EXE-UPDAT:A1,ALL;
COPY-DDRSM:A1,1,E&F,6,E&F,N;

I found it wasn't that the 4K was picky about which flash cards, but that you could buy several 2GB CFs and they were all different sizes. Some of them didn't work with 4K because they weren't big enough (taking it account 4K's DTSM/DCSM config). If you got the cards from Siemens, they were expensive, but they always worked, because they were rock solid industrial grade CF designed for constant use. Something from Costco that's meant to go in your camera did not always perform the same.

Example. Both these cards work fine in the 4K, but they both say 2GB on the sticker. If you look closer, one is 50GB smaller than the other.

<DIS-DDSM:A1,SCSI,6;
DIS-DDSM:A1,SCSI,6;
H500: AMO DDSM STARTED
CONTROLLER: <6>
VENDOR: ATA HD PRODUCT: TRS Tele-Radio-S REVISION: 30/0
DEVICE TYPE: DIRECT-ACCESS DEVICE
SIZE : 2003 MB ( 32051*64KB, 4102561 SECTORS) GRAN : 512
WRITE PROTECTED : N

AMO-DDSM -111 DISK STATUS
DISPLAY COMPLETED;
<DIS-DDSM:A1,SCSI,6;
DIS-DDSM:A1,SCSI,6;
H500: AMO DDSM STARTED
CONTROLLER: <6>
VENDOR: ATA HD PRODUCT: STI Flash 8.0.0 REVISION: 01/1
DEVICE TYPE: DIRECT-ACCESS DEVICE
SIZE : 1953 MB ( 31263*64KB, 4001761 SECTORS) GRAN : 512
WRITE PROTECTED : N

DISPLAY COMPLETED;

On cheap CF I've seen that figure down to 18xx MB and those cards didn't work.

External backup media isn't a thing of the past - 4K will use its RISO app to backup to external USB stick to create a backup which will reinstall a 4K and import your DB, from dead to phones working in about 30 min.

Yes, sure is a 50 meg difference! You get what you pay for I guess. For a backup for this system, not the time to look for a bargain. I thought there still had to be some kind of external backup option. Back when I was with Siemens I made my own policy to store a DAT backup off site for a given customer once a year. I had a lot at my house since even in the mid 2000 era there was very little need to go to the office.

I know this is a loaded question, but what's a typical (if there is such a thing) backup size for a current Unify system with a few hundred stations? With the systems I work with now all the backups are stored on our laptops and/or PCs, servers etc., but I notice a substantially larger system compared to another doesn't necessarily have a file correspondingly larger. Probably a good part of the file is the operating system.

These Direct Amo 4K commands look very similar to the Siemens 9006. Another I recall when encountering a bad DAT drive was CHA-DSKX, or something like that. I think that command was available from the CPU RMX since it could be run if the hard drive was in defect.

@sbcsu
Thanks you very much .back worked but the controller 6 status changed to blocked by AMO.

CONTROLLER: 6 IS ACTIVE LOAD DEVICE, LOAD AREA IS: :pDS:
TYPE: HD SS-NO : <CF1G3> SIZE : 1183 MB ( 18932*64KB) GRAN : 512
AREA: A NAME : A1H6A STATUS : BLOCKED BY AMO
AREA-SZ: 0 MB (2 *64KB) A-GRAN: 512
AREA: E NAME : A1H6E STATUS : BLOCKED BY AMO
AREA-DATA IN DATABASE AND ADMINISTRATION AREA ARE EQUAL
CONFIGURED LOGICAL NAMES:
:pDS:
ACTIVATED LOGICAL NAMES:
:pDS:
AREA-SZ: 200 MB (3200 *64KB) A-GRAN: 4096
AREA: F NAME : A1H6F STATUS : BLOCKED BY AMO
:DBDA:,:DBD:,:TMD:,:pAS:,:AMD:,:DMP:
NO LOGICAL NAMES ACTIVATED
AREA-SZ: 62 MB (992 *64KB) A-GRAN: 4096
AREA: G NAME : A1H6G STATUS : BLOCKED BY AMO
:CGD:
AREA-SZ: 150 MB (2400 *64KB) A-GRAN: 4096
AREA: H NAME : A1H6H STATUS : BLOCKED BY AMO
:DMS:,:DSY:
AREA-SZ: 70 MB (1120 *64KB) A-GRAN: 4096
AREA: I NAME : A1H6I STATUS : BLOCKED BY AMO
:MOD-SCR:
AREA-SZ: 701 MB (11217*64KB) A-GRAN: 4096

DISPLAY COMPLETED;

i don,t know Shall i reactivate it or not because again back up time i will get difficulty.
could you help me to change to Present status.
Best Regard

Is it because of 'DEA-DSSM:A1,6;'?

I wondered if it should have been reactivated.

Blocked by AMO" is OK. It means the last command was dea-dssm:a1,6; but there is nothing wrong with that.

If the HD crashes and 4K reboots it will still try to reload off the CF if it can.

You can only make a copy-ddrsm from 1 (HD) to 6 (MO/CF) when the device is blocked.

Sure you can reactivate after your copy-ddrsm, ACT-DSSM:a1,6; will do it - but it doesn't matter. You only need it active if you are going to use it, copy files to/from it etc, and you're not.

If you leave it blocked, you can put a CRON job in to copy-ddrsm every month, week, whatever. But be aware if you do that, and HD becomes corrupted, you might (likely will) duplicate the corruption to the CF. You are better taking regular regens remotely and swapping the CF every so often.

I know this is a loaded question, but what's a typical (if there is such a thing) backup size for a current Unify system with a few hundred stations? With the systems I work with now all the backups are stored on our laptops and/or PCs, servers etc., but I notice a substantially larger system compared to another doesn't necessarily have a file correspondingly larger. Probably a good part of the file is the operating system.

On the current 4Ks, it depends what you're backing up. The smallest backup is the XML to install the linux (a few KB, clear text), and a regen of the DB (500KB, 1MB of clear text, maybe a bit bigger for a monster DB). But to get a dead one back working, you also need the install ISO on a USB stick, which is another 3-4GB. Then you have to install the 4K and GENDB your DB.

Next biggest is the backup from Assistant, can be roughly a few hundred MB, stored on the same HD or it can transfer to SFTP. You'd think a backup stored on the same HD is not so good (I agree) but I have restored them remotely to correct a corrupted DB, and after a bit of excessive sweating it's all come up OK. This backup can backup the RMX (telephony) and also the Assistant config, if the Assistant is used for personal data etc, room, location, building, all that stuff. These backups need a semi-working 4K to restore (the Assistant needs to be able to restore the backup)

Then you've got the RISO - recovery ISO - which will backup to USB or SFTP. With this you boot from USB and everything is completely reinstalled, so it's a good backup to have. The whole OS is installed so the backup is roughly about 4GB. It needs a stick bigger than 4GB to write to - 8GB is OK.

And there is also the raided HD in processor A, if someone has sprung for the extra disc.

The telephony/RMX still 'sees' the compact flash, device id 6, but it's a virtual device. When the 4K makes a copy-ddrsm to backup to flash, it's backing up to a virtual HD. You can zip that down to ~200~300 MB though and copy it off the HD.

No shortage of backup options.

For earlier stuff, anything up to V5, it's just normal RMX with DDRSM backups to MO or CF, and an Assistant backup if you want one. DDRSM copy is still needed to boot the 4K in this case.

Very interesting information. I see a few similarities going was back to the 9006, where the DAT drive I believe was controller 6. As for other copies of the database on the HD, even back on the Rolm 9005 we did that. A CNFG backup usually with underscore and the date. The early 9006s seemed to always be needed Unix to be recovered, early releases had to be from DATs but a few releases later there was a backup of Unix on the HD that I think it would try to recover from if an error was detected with the active copy.

I recall losing Unix on a system I maintained when not with Siemens, and we had no contract for support. The HD was noisy as heck, didn't want to bother recovering Unix on that, so I set up the remote connection (we had serial - ethernet adapters)for 4800,7,E,1, moved the cable to the CPU and did changes by logging into RMX for several months until I had a replacement HD.

They've certainly come a long way with backup/recovery options. I'd think the need to recover hard drives is somewhat rare these days. It was somewhat common on the 9006s I serviced with a different company since they were all about 15 years old.

I heard DATs, Digital Audio Tapes - were developed to be the ultimate digital format for music. The drives and tapes were too expensive to justify for the average audiophile. Thankfully the media isn't used often now, but I'll still on occasion see a 4mm box of tapes in a server room, probably not used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back