Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HiPath v2 to V8 Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arshad Iqbal

Systems Engineer
Apr 26, 2019
CO
Hola,

Soon I will be doing my first ever upgrade from v2 to v8.
I wonder if there is any documentation available specific for upgrade.
or could you experts please write down all the steps I will have to take during the upgrade process.

Thanks in advance

Have you upgraded any systems before ?
It is a big undertaking if you have no experience of this.
Are you familiar with PCDacon tool used to upgrade ?

sbcsu
I am fairly new in Siemens world and have no experience of upgrade. its an opportunity coming in few months so I thought to prepare and familiar myself with the process. never heard of PCDacon before :)

Thanks for your response

Then may I suggest you get a local colleague to assist you or you ask your company to 'bring in' an expert to assist you.
You don't want to be getting that sinking feeling when things do not workout and the customer is standing over you waiting.

@sbcsu

Thanks for your honest advice. That's exactly I have recommended to my company and they are willing to take expert level resource on board but unfortunately in Pakistan they are very scarce :( I am a pre-sale person working for couple of years now on unify solutions.

@Moriendi
Yes I did OS4K training almost 2 years ago and I am "Certified Implementation & Support Expert OpenScape 4000"

I have the OS4K v8 & OSBiz v2 POC in office which gives me an opportunity to get hands on experience.

any help or suggestion is much appreciated.

Thank you both for taking time out and responding to my queries.

If you're talking about an OS4K from V2 to V8 that is going to be a major project as the hardware is completely different and you would have to replace CPU Shelf hardware, processors, drives, etc. You would also have to do a database upgrade, and several other fun and exciting steps. If you are talking about OSBiz or something that's not my cup of tea. As far as I know Unify is not giving upgrades to V8 anymore on 4K - I am in the process of trying to get one from someone who failed to notify me of the EOL status of V7 so I could budget for the upgrade to V10, and V10 will be a bird of a different flavor... :(

Don Bruechert, Voice Comm Analyst II
CareTech Solutions @ Holy Family Memorial
Manitowoc, WI, USA

It is a major project, but also..not so bad.

If it's a CPCI shelf, that comes out, and the ecoservers go in, even easier if it's just a simplex and there's only one node. But two processors doesn't really make a difference. If it's older hardware, it's still a processor swap, but it might have too old LTUC controllers to work with RTMX, so they'll need to be replaced. Upgrading a CPCI with AP3700 shelves is a bit less hassle than upgrading a H350E with the older LTUs.

Steps are
- take the regen from V2 and run it through PcDacon to convert to V8 (downloadable from SWS, you want HOT Generic R0.1.0 I think). There's no point using an older HOT, you need the current one that supports V8 R2.
- build the V8 R2 disk
- GENDB your V8 DB or run it in line by line.

Look for older cards that are not supported in V8.. most are, but you might have something not supported. Old analog trunk card maybe, ltuc shelf controller, original STMI, or SLC16 maybe? dis-bgdat; on the V8 will tell you what's supported. There are some AMOs in V8 that are not in V2 (CGWB) and some not used in V8 that are in V2 (HFAB) so the DB might need a manual nip and tuck.

As Don says, where you are in the process means you might be going to V10 not V8. Depends if you've bought the licenses already.

Thanks everyone for your support, it has taken me to next level :)

sbcsu

I would love to have you here by my side :). Though it will not be easy for you to fit into our culture. if you are still interested and serious I can have a word with management :)

@donb01 & @Moriendi

Thank you again for your response. yes you both are right, its gonna be a major project.
Using partial regen file ECS (Unify Portal) existing V2 has been upgraded to v8 and excluded the non compatible cards and ePCI shelf is replaced with Eco servers.
Licenses are not purchased yet but v8 are still available to be purchased.
I did download PC-Dacon software and upgraded the database to v8. however, I did counter an error but will discuss that later.

My last worry now is how to upgrade licenses?

You guys are so wonderful and I really appreciate your help.

As far as I know the license upgrade needs to be processed either directly through Unify or through a reseller, depending on who your support channel is.

Manitowoc, WI, USA

The only problem I would foresee is that I am a vegetarian :)

Might I suggest remote assistance ?
If you have broadband at the install location - let me know

donb01
I am at re-seller end myself. Unify support team in Dubai aren't competent either. I did ask them to help me with process but they went quiet. This forum is way better than them.

sbcsu

Being a vegetarian isn't an issue here. I am trying to be vegetarian for last 10 years :)

Unfortunately client doesn't allow internet connection at site :(

There is plenty of time for us anyway. I will check if they can make exception for me and will let you know.

I really appreciate your help and support.

Stay blessed

Thanks - ideally a PC with a LAN card to the 'old' system and a LAN card to the new system.

I just found out I'm getting my upgrade to V8, so I should have time to budget for V10 :)

Manitowoc, WI, USA

That's a Good news donb01. Is Unify going to skip v9? I haven't heard any news of v10 from Unify or distributors. All I know is new Version will be out soon, perhaps v10.
Do share the experience of upgrading with us :)

V9 is being skipped to bring 4K versions in line with OSV versions

We've heard V10 will be available from June or July in the UK.

I've heard June/July in the US as well. I am getting around it on a technicality. My contract renewal date is before V10 comes out and they will not renew my contract unless i'm off V7. This solves my immediate problem as I received no notice to budget for the upgrade early last year when I would have needed to know, and going to V8R2 is much cheaper and will give me a year or two to budget for it. V10 was kind of a big number as I have 2 4K processors and 4 APEs. We are going to replace the 2 4K processors with ECO Servers and just drop new drives in the APEs. That way when we do the V10 the 4K will go a lot faster with no hardware upgrades, and they can ship the ECO Servers for the APEs with V10 already on them and ready to go so that should go faster as well.... Theoretically...

Manitowoc, WI, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back