Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hipath 3000 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin906

MIS
Aug 4, 2006
US
I have 22 years of experience with Rolm/Siemens. Know the
9006.X all the way up to 9006.6. Was away for 4 years now I'm back. Getting acquainted with HP4K and its new twists and turns.

In my new position I have to learn the HP3K platform as well. Have the Manager-E software, etc. It does have plentiful help screens and such. Also have access to the manuals. Just wondering if there is some faster way to get the highlights for this little box of joy. The guys that do 9200's love it, but I never worked 9200's.

Just wondering if there is some quick way to get up to speed without crashing and burning something. Most of my exploring takes place on production systems.

thanks for any input

I had to learn the HP3K as well after only working with a HiComm 300. I received the basics from our parent company and Siemens technicians when they would come in to do work. The nice part about Manager E is you can download a kds (database) file and alter it anyway you want without changing the live system. I usually download a kds before I do any work, make my changes and transfer it back to the system. If anything goes wrong you can just load the original one you saved. I was able to figure out many things this way...and not have to worry about crashing the system because of some changes I made. Whenever I mess around with something, it's with a kds file on my local computer....not on the live switch.

I also feel that's the one disadvantage of the KDS file. On the Hicom 300 you change one thing at a time - yes, it is possible to make one sweeping change that can cause a big mess and then not back it off, but usually you affect one device at a time.

With the KDS file you pull the entire working knowledge of the PBX onto your PC, fiddle with it and put it back in. If you are sniffing around in there it's possible to make changes by accident that you didn't know you made, or affect all the phones and devices on the system by making one mistake. If you are working remotely and make the right mistake (trunking) you can keep yourself from getting back in to fix it without driving to wherever the system is and hooking up the serial cable.

I've also managed to make changes on occasion (hunting, destinations, etc) that affect other things that have taken weeks for people to notice, and by then I could have made several other changes/backup copies of the KDS file and don't even have a clue how far back to go.

I'm fine with how everything works, and love the tool, but just a word of caution on underestimating the damage you can do with it!

Hi Kevin906,

We have a HiPath 3000 and am running Manager C software.

Where can I get the latest version (Manager E?) from , and also manuals.
Our local Siemens supplier seems reluctant to provide manuals or software updates.

Cheers,
Mark Chimes

@Markchimes, go to your distributor. They sell manager E they can provide the manuals. They also can provide the latest version of Manager C.

Greetzzz.Bas

y1pzZTEUdok1vrI5cLb3FdPX4PgTPlSONkb5WPjz0x50etSujaMSmhdRCbOx9vASnrRNzzXv0IxNQA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back