Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hijacked IP address

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregmacca

IS-IT--Management
Aug 7, 2002
GB
I have a braodband/dsl connection to the internet. My ISP stopped my connection as someone had managed to connect to a port and use my IP address to send offensive material via email. I know now that a firewall is the best thing to have to prevent this but I have a few queries about this issue.

If a port is closed eg the FTP port does that mean that you can't ftp any files anywhere?

the ISP detected this material via a routine scan. I take it they can therefore access the content of my emails. or do they just scan for keywords? What other information do they have about online activity eg do they know stuff like the sites that you purchase items on most frequently and can they get access to credit card numbers?

I have been told a firewall router is a good option too. How is this different to a firewall.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Gregmacca,

What you have experienced is quite common. You're on the right track though; a firewall is the way to go.

Routers are usually the right choice for business applications. Just make sure that you don't just "have" a firewall, because if it is set up improperly, it is of no use. Your best bet is to get in touch with networking consultants to help you through this; it's worth the few extra bucks to make sure you have experienced people handling your set-up.

Just make sure that you get references & suggestions before choosing your Networking people; there are a lot of good people out there, but there are also a lot of clowns.

Hope this helps...

Bset regards,

bdahl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back