Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

High ranks on search engines 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

new2vb

Programmer
Feb 6, 2002
GB
I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share tips to get high ranks on the search engines. I posted my site, last week to 40 engines, and it only comes up on Alta Vista when I enter "bearcollect". None of my other keywords pull it up. I am using frames, but I added my &lt;head&gt; to my &lt;noframes&gt; section, since I've read that some search engines don't access frames pages. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!<br>
<br>
TIA,<br>
Treece

I hate to throw in another site on this discussion, but I'm also working on getting search engines to better notice your site. I have an example at <br>
The site has actually been up there for about 2 years, but was only getting about 100-200 hits per month. We just redesigned it, took the site down for a weekend (stating the new arrival date), and changed out the keywords. We cheated some with phrases like "no Star Wars but free sex stories and naked drunk people" (which is true even if the sex and stories don't go together) to see what all would pick up on it.<br>
<br>
I'm not sure what all has done it but we have had now over 1400 visitors since June 1 alone (we reset the counter). I'm not sure what all has caused the surge but I have a few speculations:<br>
<br>
1) We do have a reasonable following on this site. I'm sure a large portion is return traffic and word of mouth/email and totally unrelated to the search engines.<br>
<br>
2) I understand that search engines like pages that change and will move them up the list. This site was static for some time and slowly moved down the list (used to be #1 on infoseek about three years ago). We redesigned it and suddenly we're listed again. Not the highest, but int the top 50 works for me right now.<br>
<br>
3) OK, we cheated with "no Star Wars but free sex stories and naked drunk people". It's a cheap trick. And I'm not really sure how well it works. I'm not about to wade through a general search on Star Wars or sex looking for this site. However, it does add a new twist if you add sentences in your listings. I've never added commas to separate my listings and usually turned up fine.<br>
<br>
Any comments on my observations (or site for that matter)? I'd love to boost this site up the lists more as well.<br>
<br>
-Eric

I cut it in half visually (just enough off to where it'll still look the same; then I converted it to a JPEG & saved it at 30% quality/compression, 20%, and 10%<br>
<br>
The software I use is Ulead's iPhoto+ photo editing software; GREAT for making JPEGs, editing photos (but not good for starting a graphic from scratch) and EXCELLENT if you're wanting to interpret a file into another filetype so someone else can use it! Teh only real downfalls of this software are that it *sucks* for making graphics from scratch, and it can't save GIFs :(<br>
(I use Photo Shop Deluxe® for making still GIFs & CoffeeCup GIF Animator [] for making animated ones)<br>
<br>
<br>
-Robherc<br>
robherc@netzero.net

Hi Robherc & Doug,<br>
<br>
Sorry it's been soooo long, been busy. Thanks for all your work on my background. I played myself and my file is now 11 KB. I'm happy with it. Now to convert ALL my buttons into jpegs...ICK!! I'll do that another time. <br>
<br>
So far, i think the only traffic I've gotten in from the Teddy Bear Web Ring, but I'm still hoping that not using frames will help that.<br>
<br>
Thanks again!

a side note to grebo's comment... FYI some companies will toss out your resume if they find phrases like "no Star Wars but free sex stories and naked drunk people". in your META tags. just a thought.<br>
rivkah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back