Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

High quality Javascript editor 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmuller2

Programmer
Apr 11, 2002
NL
I am looking for a high quality Javascript editor and have not found one yet. Does anyone know the existance of one such editor??

Minimal requirements
- code formatting / completion / printing
- syntax coloring / checking
- integrated help (with ref. to Javascript versions/implementations)

Regards,
Ronald

Hi RMuller -

I've been looking for exactly the same Javascript editor requirements - have you had any luck with Eclipse? My current project is using the IBM Websphere product (based on Eclipse), and it appears to have decent Javascript support : colors and document outline by functions for quick navigation. However, I don't know if it has automatic keyword completion and pretty print (formatting). Those last 2 would be awesome features!! I also know that there is support in Emacs for Javascript, but you basically have to be an Emacs/Lisp hacker to figure out how to install and set up... :) - I think it uses the same bindings as for Java or C++.

Hi All -

I forgot to mention that the Microsoft script debugger is a decent Javascript editor, with nice settable colors. The version that came on my WinXP machine works well, but the Win2K version doesn't work quite the same - it only provides colors, etc. if the script is embedded inside html tags <script> </script>, etc - not a big deal, but a hassle if you plan to include that file from your HTML. Also you have to start the debugger from a web page in your browser - click on View --> Script Debugger. Also, finding and installing the debugger can be a pain - it comes bundled with other Microsoft tools (mainly VBScript/JScript) and service packs, with very little documentation - you may have to purchase MS Visual Studio for example. But first do a Google search for Microsoft Script Debugger. Hope this helps.

I have been using TextPad ( for quite some time. It doesn't do command completion... but it does all the other things you ask. It's fast, and it's worked on every Windows platform I've used to date.

Jeff

Hi BabyJeff -

Thx for your textpad suggestion - I downloaded it but it seems to support every script syntax in the known world, except for Javascript - you can certainly get away with using another syntax, such as Java, but then it won't recognize and distinctly color keywords like &quot;var&quot; and &quot;function&quot;, etc, nor does it show a document outline by function name... How have gotten textpad to work the way you want with Javascript syntax?

Thx for your thoughts -

- Delvis

I also use Textpad and it's great. A coworker of mine uses Homesite (I believe it's by marcromedia).

Hi All -

Thanks for the pointer to the javascript syntax files - however, there are a great deal of them - can anybody recommend a specific file and maybe why they prefer it over the other javascript syntax files? Thanks!
- Delvis

The above app comes highly recommended by C/C++ programmers who keep trying to persuade me to use it for Javascript :p

So far they have failed and I persist in using NOTEPAD.EXE (and MS-EDIT for perl, lol) but... I have the program and it's very powerful.

It's power is actually the reason I don't use it. Far too many options for me to get to grips with :p

But, if you like tweaking software and have the time for it then - as I said - it does come highly recommended by competent programmers :)

----------
I'm willing to trade custom scripts for... [see profile]

Hi All -

Textpad indeed looks like a useful product once you install the correct syntax files. The automatic block indentation feature is very helpful, however, it doesn't appear to have a way to reformat code, for example, if some lines lack incorrect indentation. There is a mouse right click reformat option, but this seems to remove ALL line breaks and indentation, exactly the opposite of what one would expect(!) Is there some way to actually get a page or block selection to reformat with proper indentation, etc?

Thanks again for your thoughts :)
- Delvis

I'm a former Texpad fanatic who's switched to UltraEdit because it is flat out better then Textpad. Most useful, It shows you how nested your {} braces, and () parenthesis are. Color coding is very also...

All you Textpad users should try it...

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build better and bigger idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. - Rick Cook (No, I'm not Rick)

zen.gif

I once saw a program called AceHTML, and although I didn't look at any of the features, it looked pretty advanced.

Does anyone know of this program, or how good it is?

Dan

Hi All -

Does anybody know if TextPad has a document outline capability? Outline is typically a listing of all functions and global variables, etc. for quick navigation. Thx for all the great inputs on this subject!

- Delvis

Delvis,

not to my knowledge. would be nice though.

we use an editor at work called Coda, which does do the outline thing for js. doesn't have code completion though, and isn't bug free.

download coda:

=========================================================
-jeff
try { succeed(); } catch(E) { tryAgain(); }

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back