Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

High Pitched Tone 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

daleblizz

Technical User
Sep 20, 2005
US
In the middle of dialing, I got a high pitch tone. The tone is still on my phone. Calls are coming in and when answering, there is a high pitch tone."

I am getting these kind of trouble tickets from IP Office users from all over the country. Someone, a few months said it was because the modules weren't upgraded in the right order, that it needed to be downgraded and then upgraded again.

I only have physical access to one switch and I was able to do that and I haven't had a problem since then on that switch.

The problem is on the switches I don't have access to and have to open a ticket with Avaya. They don't want to hear about the downgrade/upgrade thing and seem to think "their magic reboot" is the cure-all.

Does anybody know of a technical document that I can show them on this? Currently we call in a ticket -- Avaya shows up, eventually, then reboots the IP Office -- and that usually works for a little while. (On a couple of occasions they've replaced a module, which also, sometimes, works for a little while.)

In the meantime we have people sending tickets (like the one above) and who are out of service for days.

Any suggestions or fixes would be helpful.

Thanks. (Sorry about the long post.)

I have the same issue or a similiar issue.
My issue is a user makes a call, and hangs up.
Next time they pick up their phone, all they hear is a high pitched digital sound. I don't believe the user can make or receive calls, if they could, of course they could not hear anyting. Not a stuck button.

This is the 4th time this has happened.
1st time 2-1-08 Reboot IP Office 500Corrected the issue
2nd time 4-5-08 Rebooted IP Office500 Correct the issue
3rd time 7-4-08 Log user off and lof back on corrected
4th time 7-5-08 Reboot IP Office 500 corrected the issue

Rebooting the phone did not work.

The IP Office 500 was on 4.0(14) and it happened
Now they are on 4.1(1201) and it stills happens.

i replaced the IP Office500 a week ago and the issue has not happened since then but the issue goes spans of 2 or 3 months. So i won't know for sure until a couple of months have passed.

The issue is on both DS30V2 digital expansion modules and never on teh IP Office500.
i did downgrade the modules and upgrade them via the 3.299 loader and that did not work.

They are using 5410 digital phones.

i currently have a ticket open with Avaya and they forward the monitor logs onto R&D.

Let me know if you find a solution and i will do the same.

Chris O'Neil

We have had this on a system too, also a 500 that's been on various 4.1 releases, expansion modules were upgraded through the step, also downgraded and re uprgraded for good measure as some say that's whats required. Still get the squeeling down the handset thing...so loud you can't use it, again only every few months or so. Sent all manner of traces to Avaya and they just say they can't see anything wrong....basically calling us and the customer liars. I get the feeling they are burying there heads in the sand over this one. Good luck getting it resolved

ACS - IP Office Implement

Who knows, maybe it will help.
DO you have an existing case with Avaya and what is the case number?
i can pass the info along to help show that there are other systems having the same issue.

Chris O'Neil

I had have it once
This was already on 3.1
It happens when someone started to dial when a big config was send to the ipo
A reboot solved the problem

It is a big config (bigger then basic) and do they self admin ?

ACA - Implement IP Office
ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Voice Services Management

In my case they don't do self admin, it just happens randomly and a reboot is needed to clear, and as we all know a reboot is not a fix it's just a disruptive way to fix it temporarily.

ACS - IP Office Implement

I've had this on occasions, but as frequent as you describe.
It only happens on the modules and it usually happens after the power failure.

Usually we just reboot the module, remove the power from it and plug it in again without rebooting the main unit.
(Avaya probably wouldn't be so happy with that but I'm not always so happy with them so it evens out =)

But after this I usually don't hear about the problem again from that customer.

I had this same issue with a customer. It took 6 months to resolve working with Avaya Tier3. With that said, they created a special build in 4.0 that resolved this. We had tried everything to include rebuilding the config from scratch and replacing all hardware and it would still occur. Finally we were provided with a patch and the problem hasn't resurfaced in months. I don't know that that helps much, but there is a private build (not sure if it's completely out there for dispersal), but it fixed the issue.

Prior to this new firmware...reboot...wait...occur...reboot...wait...occur. I feel your pain, but Tier3 has a patch that worked in 4.0. (The system was originally at 3.1 and upgraded to 4.0 to fix the issue, which it didn't, which is why the 4.0 patch was used).

Hope that helps.

cpate

i raised this to my BP today, they told me 4.1.15 fixes it....

currently on 4.1.12

upgrading in the morning, will let you know how it goes, but not holding much hope from reading this

coneil
"DO you have an existing case with Avaya and what is the case number?"

Thanks for the offer. I opened a ticket with Avaya and they showed up on Monday AFTER a building power outage over the weekend. Another "No Trouble Found". I guess powering up and powering down cleared it.

cpate
"It took 6 months to resolve working with Avaya Tier3. With that said, they created a special build in 4.0 that resolved this."

Thanks. I kept suggesting it was software, but the Avaya techs kept replacing modules.

TomMills
"i raised this to my BP today, they told me 4.1.15 fixes it....
currently on 4.1.12"

Thanks Tom. Looks like there might be a light at the end of the tunnel. (Just out of curiosity, what's a "BP"?)

Thanks for all the responses.

@daleblizz

BP = Business Partner

y1pzZTEUdok1vrI5cLb3FdPX4PgTPlSONkb5WPjz0x50etSujaMSmhdRCbOx9vASnrRNzzXv0IxNQA

I had the issue on 3.2.something (sorry I can't remember the release) and upgrading to 4.1.12 fixed the issue (406V2), but the sound was not just ANY high pitched noise it was the # key sound and while that was on an incoming call pressing any button of the keypad got rid of the sound until next call. But I guess I got lucky with the 4.1.12 as I have not had the problem at that site again after that.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACS

If you can't be good, be good at it!

Westi, same thing definitely the # noise.

upgraded this morning to 4.1.15, cleared the problem, but i will wait a week or so before confirming, the reboot from the upgrade might have cleared it temporarily.

regarding the "modules might not have been upgraded in the right order", i built this system myself and have seen enough issues with skipping 3.2.999 to know not to miss it out, i think thats a bit of a cop out

I didn't install 4.1.15 or better we actually downgraded a system after we had problems with a shortcode going direct to VM
#3xx
voicemail collect
#3N
I am not sure if anybody uses that but it didn't work after the upgrade. It stopped working after upgrading from 4.1.12 to 4.1.15 and it took me about an hour to find how to make it work again by setting it to voicemail node then back to collect. It added " " before and after the 3N and that seemed to cause problems and it always went to the mailbox of the sending extension instead of the target. But it would be good to know if the problem is gone for good with the screech because I just got word from a site I upgraded a few days back from 4.0.7 that they have one extension that has this problem. Fix was for them to log out of the extension and log back in.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACS

Also had/have this problem, only on 1 site though and it was our first 4.0 deployment. Did the downgrade/reupgrade with no luck. Replaced the power supplies which seeemed to help for about six weeks and then regrounded the system which kept it away for almost 4 months. It resurfaced about 3 weeks ago. We upgraded to 4.1.12 (.15 wasn't GA at that time) and all has been quiet so far.

on the 4.0 I found a known issue for that

CQ39498

1 DS port has severe screech/DTMF tone when phone goes off hook

MT_RELEASE_4Q08_4.2

3-Available

6.0(108411)

and I just opened a ticket with Avaya, both customers running 4.1.12 one has a 406 the other one a 500 and I want to know if the upgrade rally fixes the problem before I spend the time to do so.
I will post the results of my ticket here

Joe W.

FHandw., ACS

I informed Avaya that others were having the same issue and they said they were aware that others were having the same or similiar issues and were working on it.
They did not mention any existing patch nor any fix in 4.2.
Avaya engineer infomred me that it is still with R&D.

Thanks
Chris O'Neil

This known issue CQ39498 is the one I was experiencing.

1 DS port has severe screech/DTMF tone when phone goes off hook

This is the software load that fixed the issue for my customer

6.0(108411) (This is the one listed on the Caveats web page)

Not sure if that helps much more, but I verfied this is the software load that was provided.

cpate

just recieved a complaint today ip500 at 4.1(15) less than 2 weeks old.

we tried to get some DTE logs from the digital expansion unit but we never got the problem to occur, apparently the customer had changed the line cord and it vanished 2 days ago. I have no idea why that would have any influence on it but, hey, as long as it is fixed.
Avaya suggested to get a replacement unit under warranty if it returns.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back