Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

High CPU utlization by the ManagementLayer

Status
Not open for further replies.

derfeus

IS-IT--Management
Oct 28, 2009
CA
Hi folks,

I have a test 3300 CX running MCD 10.0.1.12. It frequently reaches a state where I can't login to ESM. If I login to the RTC and issue the 'ps' command it shows that the ManagementLayer is hovering around 80% CPU useage.

1. Has anyone encountered this and figured out the problem?

2. Any suggestions for troubleshooting and pinpointing the cause?

3. Is there a way to restart the ManagementLayer without restart the switch?

Thanks!

What is the browser you are using?
Delete the cache/cookies and things and try again...

You can't believe anything you read... unless of course it's this sentence.

By can't, do you mean the webserver doesn't respond? i.e. no page shows up, or can you try to log in and it gives you the 'system starting' pop-up?

And no, you can't restart the management layer.

Sorry, to clarify:

- I can often see the login page (but sometimes even that doesn't load)
- I enter login details and the next page never comes up.

- Also, MiXML apps cannot communicate with the switch.

- It doesn't matter which PC I connect from. Clearing the cache makes no difference.

Thanks!

Sounds like a process within the management layer has gone mad and is hogging the cpu for other processes (webserver etc).

What are you doing to make it get into this state? You say it 'frequently' does it, so does that mean if you reboot the box and just let it sit there it eventually gets into this state? Or only after you've done some programming etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back