Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

High CPU utilization

Status
Not open for further replies.

frpatter

Technical User
Nov 1, 2004
US
Does anyelse have high cpu on inTASK.exe and inoRT.exe when running a scheduled scan?
eTrust 7.1 latest drivers and patches.
it seems to spike to 50-80% and hang there for a while at diferent times during the scan. it makes the clients being scanned quiet disruptive to the end user. i have an open case wiht support but i am not getting anywhere. surely i am not the only site with this issue. it doesn't matter what OS 9.x, win2k, winXP. HELP????

Not sure if this will help but I found it on CA's site.

INOTASK.EXE will consume 100% CPU when adjusting to/from daylight savings time. Scheduled tasks, such as signature download and scheduled scan jobs, no longer execute. This problem may occur when the system time is changed manually or automatically by the operating system.

Restarting the INOTASK.EXE process or rebooting the machine does not correct the problem.

The problem stems from a bug in the C runtime library function mktime() on Microsoft Windows ( Linux, and Solaris operating systems. This function fails to calculate the correct time when adjusting to/from daylight savings time. The scheduling code checks the value returned from mktime() to make sure it is greater (in the future) than the previously scheduled time. Since the value returned from mktime() does not correctly account for the time change, the newly calculated time will be less than that of the previous one (in the past). This incorrect time of the next scheduled job causes the scheduler to go into an infinite loop. The problem affects any current job for which the next scheduled job will run between 2:00 am - 3:00 am. We will refer to this hour of time as the "dead zone".

For example: Jobs that are scheduled to run once a week or once a day will not cause the problem to occur unless the execution time for the job falls into the dead zone. If the job runs every day at 4 am there is not a problem.

If the signature download is scheduled to run every hour, then it will hit the dead zone when the time shift occurs. Thus the problem will be encountered.

Note: This issue was introduced as a byproduct of a fix to eTrust Antivirus 6.0 (T2AD038), and was incorporated into the 7.0 release. Please see the Product Versions section below for a list of the affected software.

"evil prospers when good men do nothing”

I have gobs of problems with it (usually 100%) and near as I can tell it is always a machine that I did an uninstall, and did not reboot before installing the product again (I was trying to get rid of it using the old directory structure).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back