Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

High CPU usage by Winlogon

Status
Not open for further replies.

endeavour

MIS
Mar 29, 2001
US
A colleague of mine has a Dell Inspiron 4000 portable with W2K Pro SP1 loaded. He complained that the PC was running very slowly and when I had a look at it I found that Winlogon was taking 90+% of the CPU and the disk is thrashing constantly. I have been unable to discover what the problem is and would welcome assistance.

Thanks

I have heard of this but never experienced the only way i have known it dealt with was getting it (machine/laptop) online to windows update and bringing everything up to date.
Sorry i cant be more help

My friend has called someone out to look at his PC and the latest theory is that it is a side effect of being infected by the Klez virus :-( Needless to say I won't being opening any emails from my mate for awhile.

hi I keep getting a message statting that my system is low on virtual memory.Windows is increasing the size of your virtual memory paging file during this process memory request for somme application may be denied

I am running 2 drives c:eek:n win98
d:win2000,win 2000 is the problem

much obliged

stof, it is usually better to start a new thread to ask a question instead of posting to an existing thread. Just a tip...

You should consider adding addition memory to your system. Normally the virtual memory file is increased when the memory load on your system exceeds the real and virtual (paging file) capacity. This is from running a lot of programs or one or two programs that eat/crave storage.

In the meantime, you can change your paging file size to ease those pop-up boxes from appearing.

You will want to check your default virtual memory size (paging file). Go into Properties of "My Computer" (or open the System icon in the Control Panel). Click the Advanced tab, then the Performance Options button. In the virtual memory area, click the Change... button. Select a drive for the paging file to reside. By default, it is on the drive where you installed Win2K, but if you have 2 physical drives, it would be best to put the page file on the 'other' drive - the one that does not have Win2K on it. You will get quicker/better paging I/O.

After you select the drive you want it on, then check the currently allocated size of your paging file. Increase that number by >at least 50%< and type that in the Initial Size MB field. In the Maximum Size field, put in at least 3 times the size of the initial size, as long as it will fit into the free space on the drive selected. JSV

Hi,Endeavour
how's your problem solved? I have exactly same situation here! so confused! please post your way here!! thanks!

My friend updated his virus checker and removed the Klez virus and it has been OK since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back