Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

High Availability CMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottyjohn

Technical User
Nov 5, 2001
GB
Hi all,
I have 8 sites that are looking to connect to a central CMS server across the IP network. The CMS server is located in a two year old building with hogh comms room fire protection. My question is to get opinions from guys out there if you feel it is wirthwhile going to a duplicated HA CMS config with a server in a different location? Im unsure about the need for it.....

John
[bigglasses]

Since you are collecting the data from 8 different sites, you must be collecting huge amount of data and that too different for different sites. If something goes wrong with ur existing CMS server then you will lose all this data.
I think you should go for this option, although u need to purchase additional CLANs for these many sites.

Share Knowledge and Gain Knowledge
Nagesh Pai

Yes, HA is well worth it! Although the current current building is new and is well protected, you never know what might happen. If possible you should use the V880 platform because of its resiliancy. If you are using the E3500, make sure that you have or you add the redundant power option. Also, for those who don't know the primary and HA server have to be identical platforms with the same disk space and memory.

IPSI

IPSI is right here. HA is worth an option. But going to SUN V880 would be a costly affair,instead you can go for Sun Blade 150. It may not be as rugged as V880, but is certainly more rugged than Ultra 5. The hard wares for both the servers must be identical though.

Share Knowledge and Gain Knowledge
Nagesh Pai

A cheaper alternative may be to add the disk mirroring feature to the CMS.

Kevin

Cheers guys, I think Avaya are talking v880 as the platform but I think we may be looking at alternatives related to some other projects. Interesting stuff!

John
ski_69@hotmail.com
[bigglasses]

The V880 is expensive!! I have been working on a few large call centers recently and that has me in the big call center with high call volume thought mode. If the 8 call centers are not real high call volume, the sunblade woudl be fine, and much less $$$! Thank you for pointing this out Nagesh!

IPSI

I think combined we are looking at around 150,000 calls per day max. I have been told by Avaya that support for the E3500 from Sun finishes at the end of the year so they would no longer be able to support it, is that the case?

John
ski_69@hotmail.com
[bigglasses]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back