Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hierarchical Storage Management

Status
Not open for further replies.

SelbyGlenn

Technical User
Oct 7, 2002
GB
Hi there,

Does anyone know of any software that moves old infrequently accessed data off Windows 2000 data servers onto a cheaper storage solution? The only one I've managed to find so far is Everstor but they only work on Sun Systems.

Also is there a tool out there, which I can run on a file server to see what files have not been accessed from a certain date. I have tried using the search facility within Windows 2000 and it's a joke!! I ran a search on 9GB of data to see what had been accessed in the last 12 months and apparently 49.4GB have been accessed! I'd love to know where the other 40GB are hiding!! [2thumbsup]

Thanks in advance,
Glenn
BEng A+ MCSE CCA

I don't know of an automatic exporter, but there is a shareware program called Effective File Search that can search for files by size, creation, modification... and the results can be exported to a CSV file. This can help with reporting. Hope this helps a little.

Veritas has a product called Storage Migrator which is designed to accomplish this. It utilizes the MS SQL database and will move files to any type media of your choice. One feature of this program is that even though the data has been moved, access to the data from the desktop is seamless in that the file location does not change in the current storage heirachy you might be using.

The program will manage data files or MS Exchange Information Store files.

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back