Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hiding Sysvol and Netlogin shares?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox1977

IS-IT--Management
Dec 6, 2001
GB
Hi there,

Is it possible to hide the sysvol and netlogon shares on our windows domain network?

We have a windows domain on a subnet and another standalone server on the same subnet that will be managed by someone else. I am just carrying out some tests and from the standalone server and they are able to browse the shares and write files to the sysvol share!!

Is there anyway i can secure these two shares? is it possible to put a $ on the end of the share to hide it?

Anyone any ideas on what is possible? I don't want to come in one day to find that the domain has gone down because someone has messed up the sysvol share!

Thanks

You could just limit access using security policies.
If you right click on the folder you will see sharing and security. You can limit users access to read only then if you liked. Or even deny access to people if they didn't need access.

Do not use $ sign after it. Once you put $ sign after it you effectively change the name of the share and other services that are dependent on that share will not be able to find it. I would go with 1977's advice.

It worked out that i was using accounts that had cached credentials (or same kerbos details)from when it was on the domain.

When i created a new user and tried it with that user i could not see anything. Job sorted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back