Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hiding System Tray Icon(s) - Pref. PC Anywhere 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

brettums

IS-IT--Management
Dec 27, 2000
US
I work in an Education facility and ofcourse we here have Acceptable use policys. There are a few kids that don't like to follow these rules, so therefore I must monitor any public machines and make sure they are not on any in appropriate sites etc.
Anyway.... a few kids found out how to TURN OFF PC Anywhere via System Tray icon. I need to HIDE the system tray icon, but still have the service running. NOTE: These machines are on windows 2000 Pro machines. I know of the auto hide feature in Windows XP so that has been resolved on any of these public machines. Correct me of I'm wrong but is there a registry setting that will let you do this?

Thanks guys!
-Brett
brett@fayschool.org

Brett,

Yes, You can easily hide that icon by creating a new entry in the registry located in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\pcAnywhere\CurrentVersion\Host create the a new dword entry called ServiceStealthMode with the value set to 1

Hope this helps.

David

David...

THANKYOU!

It works like a charm!
and the service is still running!
-Brett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back