Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hiding subfolders with No access permission in w2k. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ododa

IS-IT--Management
Jun 13, 2002
US
Hi,

I have created subfolders and setup user groups in my AD Domain controller. In netware, you can hide a subfolder from being viewed or seen by a group or user who has no access rights.
How can I prevent users or groups from viewing the subfolder in w2k. I have tried to deny listfolder/read for This folder etc in the Advance tab under permission - but the folder is still viewable (just getting access denied error).
Please help!!!
Thanks for your attention.

O.

This is one of the Top Ten Headaches for Netware Admins. Microsofties just look at you with a vaguely puzzled stare and wonder what all the fuss is about. The answer from Microsoft is that they have no intention of programming in that nifty feature that Netware Admins once took for granted and are now pounding their heads against the wall trying to emulate in their new environment. The nearest you can come is making a folder into a share and putting a $ at the end of the share name and mapping a drive to it through a script, etc. which is hokey but works ok for home directories but doesn't come even close to a solution for the shared data. You just will have to re-organize in a logical departmental manner and teach everyone that if people are traversing through the directory structure on the way down to a folder where they have rights, get ready for this, they can READ EVERY TITLE along the way. For example, Fred is responsible for the Payroll directory (share) with 35 folders in it and tells the network admin that he want Susi to share the contents of one of them. If Susi is given List rights to the Payroll folder so she can navigate down to the SusiHasRights folder, she can see the file names of every document in every folder at every level unless someone goes through and stops inheritance on all 34 other folders. What a mess! I have no idea how to make it easy to manage.

Have you tried removing the everyone group from the permissions and just having the users that you want given permissions listed?
This in theory will stop other users from seeing the files unless they have been given permission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back