Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hiding status bar information

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITCPhil

Technical User
Jun 30, 2005
CA
Hi,

I know there are a few threads on this but even though they helped me some, I am still running into some difficulty.

A bit of background. I am linking a Crystal Report file via a URL. This file has to be live meaning it has to login to a database so my URL contains both the login and password.

These files are intranet only for upper management so they will not amuse themselves by hacking into the webpage so I can use any method to hide the information.

I had tried hiding it into the HTML but when you clicked on it, the login still appeared in the address bar. So what I have done now is disabled right clicking so they can't view source and used 'onmouseover' and 'onmouseout' to hide the information.

However, the information still appears in the status bar on the bottom. To hide this, I used 'Onclick' and put in a bogus link but when you click it now of courses opens that incorrect link.

Am I doing something wrong here or is there a method to hide the status bar or at least have it show what I want it to show while opening the correct URL containing the login and password.

This is the relevant part of the code :
Code:
<a 
href="[URL unfurl="true"]http://domain.prv/reports/OnLine/1.rpt?init=actx&user0=&password0[/URL]
=*&connect=1"  onclick="this.href='[URL unfurl="true"]http://domain.prv/reports/OnLine/1.rpt?init=actx&user0[/URL]
=*&password0=*&connect=1'"
onmouseover="window.status='[URL unfurl="true"]http://domain.prv/reports/managed/1.rpt';[/URL] return true;" 
onmouseout="window.status='; return true;"
>
Outstanding severity 1 and 2
</a>

Ideas?

Thank you,
Phil

Oops, slight error there as I am testing, onclick only contains :

onclick="this.href='
Which appears to be what opens up. This means I get a login prompt for the database instead of logging in using the href information.

Phil

Am I doing something wrong here

yes, you are wasting a lot of time.

So what I have done now is disabled right clicking so they can't view source and used 'onmouseover' and 'onmouseout' to hide the information.

that's nice, and what about when they select view>source from the menu?

messing with the display on the status bar won't work either. not all browsers allow you to do this, since it's a security risk. some browsers will allow you to hide the status bar on a window.open() call. the good ones will not.

*cLFlaVA
----------------------------
[tt]( <P> <B>)[sup]13[/sup] * (<P> <.</B>)[/tt]

[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.coryarthus.com/[/url]

Viewsource gives you :

<script language=JavaScript>m='%3C%21--%23%23%23%23%...TO%20CGISCRIPT.NET.--%3E';
d=unescape(m);document.write(d);</script>

And everyone here uses an identically customized Ie 6.0 so if it does not work on my pc, it won't work on anyone's pc.

This is for the upper echelon of government officials, they don't care about trying to view the source code, they just need to be able to get the data they want with as little work as possible.

Is this meant to be secure?
I guess it must be or you wouldn't be trying to hide the URL.

So... would the "upper echelons of government officials" be happy if they knew how insecure you were making this?

Just playing Devil's advocate here.

Incidentally, if all you want to do is hide the URL then could you avoid the javascript right context menu stuff by using an iFrame?

<honk>*:O)</honk>
Foamcow Heavy Industries - Web site design in Cheltenham and Gloucester
Ham and Jam - British & Commonwealth forces mod for Half Life 2

It is not meant to be secured, it's just a matter of the people accessing not being able to see the login.

Most posters here probably work in the private sector where everyone in the world can see their stuff. This is limited to a management team.

I'd rather not use an Iframe because the viewer is already divided in 3 frames.

I'd rather not use an Iframe because the viewer is already divided in 3 frames.
Sounds like a pretty sweet application [bigears]

-kaht

Looking for a puppy?

[small]Silky Terriers are small, relatively odorless dogs that shed no fur and make great indoor pets.[/small]

The 3 frames is how the Crystal Viewer works, left frame for groups, top frame for commands and main frame for the report.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back