Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hiding RG6 in false Chimney

Status
Not open for further replies.

adpwl1

Technical User
Dec 6, 2001
US
Helping a friend with his new construction. He will be getting DirecTV and will be mounting the dish on the false chimney.

My question, would I be able to run the cables from the basement, up the walls and up the chimney to drill a hole to pull the wires out of the chimney? Is that proper/code? The whole idea is to not have the wires running up the side of the house.

If so, any suggestions as how to keep the outdoor elements out of the hole? (bees, rain,...)

Thanks in advance!

You'd have to check with the local code authority but I don't think you'd have a problem if I understand what you mean by false chimney.

like franklin said but are you saying this is framed out basement to roof and not used for anything ?

if its new construction you really shouldnt have a problem finding a path basement to ceiling

If I were you.... I'd run conduit of some sort from the basement up to the top of the chimney, and then I'd put a nipple on it and mount a single gang outdoor box there, with a hubble clear plastic single gang hatch on it, that way you can protect the fitting, etc. from the elements... and also have a safe way of replacing cable later on, etc. or if you had to pull more cables in for additional dishes, LNB's, etc. I'd go with 1" conduit, or maybe larger if you can. Absolutely no reason to not put conduit in, it's the best way to future proofing your installation.

I would Tend to Agree with AvayaNovice to a point a RG6 cable isn't so big you would need a 1" conduit however, you can bet your bottom Dollar you should use something. as a side Note I was getting horrible reception from my regular antenna, I replaced the cable and the differance was Night and Day irrugardless of local code I would use perhaps 3/4" conduit and some kind of Cap to keep the elements out of the conduit tube, however if you friend has any desire to run something in the future like some kind of local Weather gathering device it would not be a Bad idea, to Go 1" conduit

Thanks for all the info guys! I will probably go with the 1 inch since we are planning on the oval 3LNB dish and who know what you might need in a few years.

Thanks again!

Yeah... 1" with a nipple into a deep single gang outdoor rated gasket box, and throw a hubble clearguard plastic dome decora style cover.

1" is because if you end up with more than one dish, or several dishes... you'll want that extra space to pull the 3 or 4 RG-6's through.

I wouldn't put a ground wire in the conduit... I would put a groundblock down in the basement where the cable comes out of the conduit, and then adequetely ground it there. But that's just me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back