Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hiding Printers in Windows 2003 Terminal Services? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

xAOx

IS-IT--Management
Aug 15, 2006
US
Hi, we have about 25 users logging into Terminal Services at various times throughout business hours. Most of the printers they are using locallly, I had to install drivers for in order for Windows 2003 to recognize them. The problem now is that when they go to File > Print, it shows a dozen Printers for which Installed drivers for PLUS printers from different user sessions. This can get confusing for simple users because they select the wrong printer (i.e. hp21_from ABC in session 1 or HP 2100 Driver). How do I hide certain printers?

Thanks in advance.

Are these users administrators? As far as I know, Administrators will see all users mapped printers and regular users will only see their own printers.

Hmm I was incorrect about seeing it from other's users sessions BUT they still see all the Printers for which drivers were installed from.

i.e. If I install drivers for an HP Laser Jet 2100 on a TS Port (so that User A with HP 2100 on Win2000 connects, Terminal Server will have drivers ready for him) it automatically displays HP Laser Jet 2100 in the Printing menu. How do I hide that because users mistakingly assume they have to print to that instead of their session's printer.

Yeah I read through that twice, didn't see anything that applies to my situation.

Thanks though.

Let me see if I understand. Let's say I am User1 and my machine name is PC1. I have an HP 2100 locally on my PC. You load the HP 2100 Drivers on the terminal server because I need to print locally from my Terminal Server Session.

So I log onto a TS Session. I go to Start-Settings-Printers I see "HP2100 from Session PC1" which is good. Now I also see an HP2100 that I didn't have before? The user shouldn't see the "server" printers unless you specifically add it for them, either manually or through a script. What happens if you delete the printer you want to hide? Does that solve the problem, or does it re-appear after they log off and back on?

The way it should work is just because you add a print driver to a Terminal Server shouldn't create a printer for every user that logs on. We have over a hundred users that use Terminal Server. They only see the printers that are specifically mapped for them. That setting is held in their profile. So multiple users can log onto the exact same machine and get different printer settings.

Let me see if I understand.
Let's say I am User1 and my machine name is PC1.
I have an HP 2100 locally on my PC.
You load the HP 2100 Drivers on the terminal server because I need to print locally from my Terminal Server Session.
So I log onto a TS Session. I go to Start-Settings-Printers I see "HP2100 from Session PC1" which is good. Now I also see an HP2100 that I didn't have before?"

Yes, exactly. Everytime they see theres and the one that is locally installed on the sever (on an inactive TS port).

Maybe my process is wrong? This is what I do to get printers setup for TS printing... I go to - Add a printer > Local Printer attached to this Computer > Use the following port: TS001 (Inactive TS Port) > Have disk (then install drivers).

From this point on, User1 connects and can print to his special printer (that otherwise Windows2003 would not see).

Since you mentioned it, can I just delete the printer from Printers and Faxes directory, since deleting the printer does not remove drivers, so things will still work?

Alright, I see. Try this. On the Terminal Server just as a test, change the port to LPT1, even though there is no printer attached there. Have the user log off and back on and see if they still see 2 printers.

What I'm thinking is that you shouldn't install the printer to that port. Those TS00x ports are virtual ports for mapping local printers. So if a client machine sees a printer on that port, the user will see the printer, because Terminal Server thinks it needs to add it as a local printer.

I normally just add the drivers on the terminal server, I don't go through the whole add printer wizard. Just go to Printers - File - Server Properties - Drivers. Then just add the drivers you require from there. When the local user logs on, as long as the TS has the correct driver installed, it will map his local printer to an available TS00 port.

You shouldn't install a printer just to get the drivers installed. Pgaliardo is correct in that you should only add the drivers in Server Properties>Drivers.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back