Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hiding Parameters in Crystal Enterprise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Progmatic

Programmer
Oct 17, 2000
CA
Hi, Is there a way to hide the parameters in Crystal enterprise. We are using Oracle stored procedure, os one of the parameters that we see is the result set cursor which basically is an out parameter used to bring back the data. The user should not see this parameter.

Thanks

Hi, where does the parameter appear?
If in the URL then set the window properties to not show the location...

[profile]

Hi we are deploying our reports using eportfolio in crystal enterprise. That's where they see the parmaters.any help is greatly appreciated.

In CMC, set the value of that particular parameter and uncheck the 2 options - especially the one about prompting the user for a new value..This should stop it from appearing, since it no longer needs user input...

[profile]

I tried going in the CMC and making the changes you suggested. It is still prompting for the parameter.

Any other ideas? I'm using CE 10.

Thanks!

You have to hit update twice.. once when you change it and once for the whole parameters sections.. a bit confusing..

Also, you don't mention where the prompts are. You cannot remove the parameters from the scheduled reports parameter lists. I want them to not show up there as well. Crystals only suggestion was to rewrite eportfolio to hide them..

Lisa

The cursor parameter shows up when I am scheduling the report - that is when I want it hidden.

?

From CE9 - your CE10 mileage may vary.
If you want to address this in schedule.csp, look for this code:
Code:
var prompti = rpi.ReportParameters.Item(i);
The next 250 or so lines of code display and control the parameter prompts inside a "for" loop repeated for each parameter. Test the param name with
Code:
if prompti.ParameterName <> "<some_string>"
and execute those 250 lines conditionally.

In other words...
Code:
for(i = 1; i <= npar; ++i)
{
   // SET OUR PARAMETER OBJECT
   var prompti = rpi.ReportParameters.Item(i);
   [b]if prompti.ParameterName <> "Out Variable" // added condition
   { // added conditional begin[/b]
   // 250 or so lines of original code
   [b]} // end of added condition[/b]
}

I thought I'd offer some clarification on this thread as I stumbled on it looking for answers to the same question. In my case I'm using CE9/ePortfolio but regarding parameters, I don't think the options have changed in CE10/Web Desktop. (The option under discussion can be found in the CMC on the page where you set parameter values and reads: Prompt the user for new value(s) when viewing). As stated here previously, selecting/de-selecting this option has no effect on the Schedule screen - the parameter is shown in plain view regardless.

However, it does give the intended result if you're using the ActiveX viewer and instead of Schedule, you select View to run the report on demand. This action causes an ActiveX dialogue box to pop up and step through the paramters. If you do not put a check next to the Prompt the user... option, you will not see the parameter.

We had to resort to using View instead of Schedule for this reason for one group of reports (and for the lousy handling on entry of date/time in the schedule page). Using View is not recommended for reports that run for more then a couple of minutes, but that wasn't a problem for this specific application. Using View also will not give you a saved instance unless you export it yourself.

I have to ask the question, why didn't Crystal implement this option in the Schedule logic? Pretty crummy in my opinion. I'm not sure this has been addressed in XI, but at least they've cleaned up the Schedule pages quite a bit all around in XI.

--Bearden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back