Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hiding child folders 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NelMo

MIS
Apr 19, 2001
GB
We have a parent folder with several child folders.
Some users need access to some of the child folders but have nothing to do with the others.
How (and where) can I set permissions so users open the parent folder and only get to see those child folders they have access to

Thanks

Nel

I understand that you are trying to keep folders that users don't have access to from even being visible to them. Tell me if I'm wrong.

You can't do what you want without changing the folder structure. Not even applying special permissions will remedy this in a way that would please you. The only way to make those folders "disappear" is to mark them as hidden, and then they'd be hidden for all users who didn't have the "show hidden and system folders" option turned on.

You can consolidate the folders they SHOULD have access to and put them in a single folder, then share out that folder and give them appropriate permissions on that share. If you do that, they will never see the folders that were in the directory above the shared folder.

ShackDaddy
Shackelford Consulting

Thanks ShackDaddy

From looking at the permissions I didn't think you could do this. We have not long moved from Novell 6 to SBS 2003 and I did find volume management so much easier with Novell !!

Thanks Jeff

After an initial view of ABE it looks like it will do the job. I don't understand why this feature is not installed automatically or even promoted by Microsoft!

Thanks again

Nel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back